Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, even though I have a Paul's IRS brace, Steeda IRS Polyurethane bushings & Steeda Sport springs, I STILL have HORRIBLE wheel-hop... :mad:

I raced a '97-'98 Cobra tonight & my car hopped it's way through 1st gear on launch & all the way through 2nd too.
I feel like a friggin' RABBIT when I drive the car aggressively... :rolleyes:

BESIDES going to a live axle, what other steps can I take to remedy this???
Will stickier tires - like Nitto DR's - help alot??? I still have the stock tires on the car, but I'm thinking of getting new ones...
Would aftermarket upper-control arms be worth the $$$ ??? I hear alot about upper/lower control arms for the live axle, but not much for the IRS.

(PS: I have NO IDEA what happened to the other thread I posted of the same name...it just posted BLANK... :confused: )

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I would suggest some good shocks.. That's part of the solution..

But the real solution according to Joe Lynch is traction.

Get some good tires such as DR's and you will solve the hop, but you will have to invest in some better halfshafts.

Shawn

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BlackSnake2001 said:
I would suggest some good shocks.. That's part of the solution..

But the real solution according to Joe Lynch is traction.

Get some good tires such as DR's and you will solve the hop, but you will have to invest in some better halfshafts.

Shawn
Thanks for the suggestions.
I actually ordered GKN Stage 3 half-shafts some time ago, just waiting for them to arrive. Been considering Nitto DR's too - 275/40r-17's.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I am in the midst of the same decision.. I am thinking about getting some gears installed or getting some DR's and Axles.

I am leaning more towards the axles and DR's..

275/40/17 Nitto's are great!

Shawn

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BlackSnake2001 said:
I am in the midst of the same decision.. I am thinking about getting some gears installed or getting some DR's and Axles.

I am leaning more towards the axles and DR's..

275/40/17 Nitto's are great!

Shawn
If I had to do it over again, I would do the tires & axles FIRST.
With the 4.10's installed, the hop is DREADFUL.... :eek:
(At least on my car...)

·
Registered
322 Posts
The cure for the common hop.....

My car is a 00' Steeda GT with an IRS. I chose the IRS because I love road racing and the ride quality. The handling is awesome too.

From what I've gathered, the best thing you can do is get a good, stiff set of springs. I've gone with the H&R supersports. I also have the Steeda polyurethane bushings and PHP differential brace. I've got Nitto 275/45/17's drag radials on the back too.

I've done many repeated 2000-2500rpm launches with a 2nd gear burnout and have done on average very low 1.8's and a few 1.7's. I can't really launch higher because of my gear and supercharger.

I've done the times in my sig with stock halfshafts and no wheel hop at all. These times are consistent. But the halfshafts can go at any time.

I think that if you go with this combo, you should do just as good. This is the same combo I'm goin' with on my girlfriends '99 Cobra.

I'm planning on a motor build up and then better halfshafts on my car. There is a company called Driveshaftshop.com or DSS that I'm working with. I'm their test car for there new shafts. They are in production and should be available shortly. They are made from 300m chromoly and are very durable and capable of high horsepower and abuse. If you are interested, email me at [email protected] and I'll give you there number.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Here are a couple of suggestions.

1. Run a fairly high rear spring rate. For conventional springs, 750 to about 800 lb/in is about right for the IRS and 575 to about 650 is about right for the IRS. MM's IRS coil over kit is due out in a few weeks to a month. Griggs and KB also offer kits.

2. Run a suitable IRS shock. For an off-the-shelf shock, the Bilstein Cobra R shock has the best damping. Works good up to about 800 lb/in conventional and 650 lb/in IRS.

3. Get a set of Kenny Brown poly IRS sway bar bushings. These helped eliminate wheel hop and increased the rear roll stiffness a bit.

4. Remove as much compliance from the IRS control arms as possible. Griggs offers Delrin lower control arm bushings. Other, more reasonably priced, options for upper and lower IRS control arm bushings are on the way.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
subscribe

·
Registered
221 Posts
Re: The cure for the common hop.....

Steeda46 said:

I've done the times in my sig with stock halfshafts and no wheel hop at all. These times are consistent. But the halfshafts can go at any time.

Hey, moron. How about you shorten your sig, so I don't have to scroll three pages to see the end of the thread. You're the type of person that makes me angry at the corral.

To the original poster: Try slipping the clutch more. I dropped the clutch at the track, and hopped so bad, I thought the car was going to fall apart. Next run, I slipped the clutch a lot more, got a way faster time, and had no hop on the launch, just the shift to second. I would also recommend MM full-length subframe connectors.

Larry

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Why don't you drop the "moron" talk and try getting a bigger monitor.

No need for insults here.

Peace

1 - 12 of 12 Posts