Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tonight I had to be towed home because of this intermitant engine problem I'm having.

What happens is all of a sudden the car will start to run like crap. It hesitates and bucks and the CE light will come on. When I rev it when it does this, it sounds like a cylinder is not firing or something. It just doesnt sound right and doesnt feel right so I have to shut it off.

It has done this to me like 3 times before but always when it does it, I just shut the car off, turn it back on, and it's fine. This time however, I tried restarting the car 10 or so times and it didn't help.

The last time it did this was a month ago. Since then the engine has run fine. Like tonight, the engine was running fine, then all of a sudden this happens. But now when the tow truck dropped the car off and I start it, it runs fine again

This is annoying the hell out of me. Also, I have a crappy idle which i think is very related to this problem. It's not really a crappy idle in the fact that it will never stall or anything, it's just that my car sounds like it has a cam in it now. Sounds kind of cool and everyone asks what cam I'm running, but I know it's not right.

Another thing is that when this problem occurs, my A/F ratio guage doesn't go full green (rich) like it's supposed to under part throttle or idle or full throttle. It really never gets past stoich when this happens. But like I say now that the tow truck just drooped off my car, I start it and drive for a bit and it's fine again. And the A/F ratio is fine also.

I know I should buy a code scanner and find out something from that. But my cousin has one and hes in Orlando so that's a ways away.

This whole problem has gotten me worried to the point where I think the only solution would be to pull the valve covers and heads and see what's goign on. I use this car to get me to/from work so i don't need this happening on my way to work. I'll get my [email protected]@ fired. But any input you all could give me would be very apprecaited. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Get a code scanner at the local auto part store, usually less than $30.00. Since it is a intermittant problem,with out code, it will be next to impossible to diagnose. 1st guess would be O2 sensors, due to the A\F gauge goes rich.

Need to pull the codes.. Once the check engine light comes on, it stores the codes.
Sorry you had to have it towed, that really blows. That money could go to mods or this repair.

·
Registered
556 Posts
BBK LTs = cold O2 sensor(s). thats my bet on your problem

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
WEll luckily I have AAA PLus so towing was free. But the repair wont be I know.

95Steeda, what can I do about cold 02 sensors with the LT's? And if it is a cold 02, what is my computer doing to my engine that's makeing it buck and miss? BTW, I was driving all night long (3 hours) without a problem, but when this problem happened I was at a constant rpm for about 10 minutes (2500rpms cruising). Will the o2 sensors go cold at that point?

Oh and lastly, here's a picture of all my plugs taken last night after I was towed. The #8 looks way different from the rest. And the car felt like it was only on 7 cylinders when this problem happened. hmmm...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts