Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering purchasing a 2003 cobra later this year after i save up a fat downpayment. I currently drive a 01 dodge ram that would/will get traded in.

I'd like to begin understand some of the brands of aftermarket products so i will be prepared to begin modifications on the Cobra assuming i choose it as my next vehicle. I know alot about magnum engines but know very little about fords so in the future i hope you guys can help me out :cool:

My first and most important question is exhaust for mustangs...the only engines ive heard on the road that sound as good or better than a magnum engine with flowbies is a GT mustang SO how do you make em sound so good. I've seen brands people lsited on here that i've never heard of. Lots of talk about X/H pipes etc. and im not a big familiar with any of this. Thanks in advance for any info you can give me :)

kirkyg

·
Registered
11 Posts
So the best sounding mustang you have heard is a GT? Never heard a cobra I suppose.

;)

Check this out in the mean time

http://www.mustangexhaust.com/

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I tend to shy away from magazines they are usually full of BS and marketing/advertising and not what really helps you get what you want. Right now im looking at exhaust specifically.

I'm saying the only cars that sound as good or better than a magnum v8 from my experience are the mustangs.

that being said im talking not stock exhaust but modified so im inquiring on what exhaust setups do all these people have with this awesome sound?

·
Registered
343 Posts
As I understand it:

H-pipe=throaty American V8 rumble; more low end tq
X-pipe=raspier more exotic sound; more top end hp

If you want a Cobra you better grab one fast or they will all be gone! Welcome to the boards too.
:)

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i would go the H-pipe route then :D

Is this like a pipe that connects the two duals out? How does it work? What muffler is best with therse engines? I know with magnum engines Flowmaster sounds good and a Dynomax bullet sounds even better. Those the two best ive heard.

kirkyg

·
Administrator
1,712 Posts
I highly recommend getting a Magnaflow X-Pipe with Cats and a Magnaflow Cat-back exhaust system.

With the Magnaflow Cat-back system our project car picked up 13.5 REAR WHEEL HORSEPOWER and 9.4 lb/ft of REAR WHEEL TORQUE!!

I recommend the Magnaflow X pipe over the Bassani X-Pipe because Bassani is now using cheaper 2-way cats. I have found that cars with recently produced Bassani Catted X-pipes are NOT passing emissions for Nitrogens of Oxides. The Magnaflow X pipe is using a 3-way cat which should solve that problem.

My other mod for an 03 Cobra would be an F-150 Lightning aftermarket 2# crank pulley. This will boost a Lightning's stock boost 2#, and should do at least 4# or more for a Cobra.

After that I'd pay for some dyno tuning and have a custom burned chip done while the car was on the dyno.

Then I'd leave the car alone! :)

Welcome to the site!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Kirkyg,

Welcome & good luck on the '03 acquisition!

I've done 4 stangs and have always used flowmaster. On my '99 Cobra I only did 2 chamber flowmasters and the car sounded Nascar sweet. I was amazed at how much sound I got out of just the muffler switch, I didn't do catback, just switched muff's, and I couldn't want any better sound than I got.

I'm looking at an '03 myself now and I'd really consider what Chris posted, he knows his stuff & I'll be looking at this setup myself for my '03 (if & when). I would recommend starting with the catback and then doing the H or X pipe after you see how you like it, unless you save on the cost of a total package.

Best lo luck.

Dave.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Early congrats on your future Cobra purchase. You're gonna love the Mustang aftermarket. One of the best things about it is how plentiful it is, but that's also one of the most frustrating! There are SO many choices, it can get nerve wracking at times.

"That awesome Mustang sound" you mentioned could be a dozen combos. An X Pipe with Bassani Quiet Thunder catback sounds incredible. But if you're leaning more towards the deeper classic rumble, then an off road H-Pipe with Magnaflow catback is hard to beat. For the sound, price, performance and Stainless Steel quality, that would be pretty hard to beat.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Interesting...would any of yall happen to have some sound clips of some different exhaust sounds? Flowmaster tends to be a louder but more raspy sound vs say a dynomax from my experience. I've always considered magnaflow not all that but im obviously wrong about that :). I like deep rumble but maybe the very nice sound im referring to that i like so much is the Exotic sound. Im not to much of a fan of the viper exhaust so if it sounds like that i'll pass.

Any sound clips or vid clips of em racing would be wonderful. Thanks in advance.

kirkyg

·
Registered
180 Posts
Huh?

Sorry, hehe, couldn't resist the corn.

Yeah, the one chambers are deafening at WOT. Not for a daily driver. But they actually drone less than 2 chambers. It's the heavy applications of throttle that make them positively roar. The best place to listen to exhaust clips right now is www.mustangexhaust.com They've got just about any combo you might want to hear. Prepare to spend an hour downloading them all, haha. I've got over a hundred sound files of various Mustang exhaust combos.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
From the clips i listened to it sounds like the 2 chamber flowmaster sounds the best w/ prochamber H pipes. Im not sure i understand the different between X and H pipes would appreciate an explanation if someone can explain it :). In any case thats what im leaning towards.

kirkyg

·
Registered
180 Posts
As I understand it, an H Pipe not only equalizes pressures between exhaust pulses in each exhaust runner in a dual exhaust setup, but since the crossover tube is smaller than the main tube, the venturi effect actually pulls the exhaust along, out of the crossover tube, creating a low pressure region, without slowing down the flow through the main tube. It's an efficient design that's been used for years.
At high rpm, though, the path of least resistance applies and an X Pipe becomes more efficient. High flowrates will simply push air to wherever it can, and a smooth X Pipe will allow for the most flow in that case.

It comes down to what you want - bottom end, streetable horsepower, or top end drag racing horsepower?

As for sound, those negative pressure pulses in an H Pipe and ProChamber make for some deep rumbles, while the X Pipe seems to just allow unadulterated engine music through.

I think the ProChamber really is the best of both worlds. If you like the sound of the Flowmasters, 2 chamber Flows and a Prochamber is one of the sweetest sounds out there. I sort of prefer the Prochamber with the Steeda (Borla) cat back. Scotty's cars is one of the meanest I've ever heard.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.