Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put the car back on the dyno with new injectors to see if there was anything left in it..

We made 603 rwhp @5800rpm with 17 degrees of timing and 16 psi of boost..Repeated the numbers from 3 weeks ago.

Spun the car to 6800 rpm and made a 611rwhp @ 19psi of boost..Obviously the Strim was maxxed at 16 psi..The other 3 psi is nothing more then wasted hot air going into my engine.

Im going to put a intercooler on the car..Im pretty sure if we cool it down I should see more power out of the current setup..I plan on a larger supercharger or a Turbo,but I REALLY dont want the car down any more this year..It took me a year to get it here and I just want to drive the damn thing..

Anyways, Im going to do the intercooler and stop till september.(taking deep breaths saying stay away from the power crack pipe:D )

I need some input on the best intercooler to go with..Keep in mind,I am going to a larger 80 mm turbo or large supercharger in the next couple months so I need something to work with that setup also..

Thanks in Advance..

Tim

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
cobra killer said:

Anyways, Im going to do the intercooler and stop till september.(taking deep breaths saying stay away from the power crack pipe:D )

I need some input on the best intercooler to go with..Keep in mind,I am going to a larger 80 mm turbo or large supercharger in the next couple months so I need something to work with that setup also..

Thanks in Advance..

Tim
Tim, you want it honest. Drive what you have now. Why spend money that will bring you nothing later on when you go to sell. You are going to need a pretty good size IC to work with your kind of power, and it ain't going to be cheap.

If you are insistent on getting one, look at Fast Track or SHM. Be prepared for additional tuning issues.

Why not order what you want now, so it will be ready for install when the season ends.

Power is a drug, you want more . . . .

·
Registered
97 Posts
cobra killer: I went with the Fasttrack IC unit. I'am very happy with it. Raplh Greene who is very well known on the Corral also has one on his '98' Cobra, also went with the Fasttrack IC unit. Do a search on Fasttrack IC for reviews & check out the the web site www.fastrackperf.com for pictures of IC unit:joy:

·
Registered
413 Posts
I think you'll make more power with a blower upgrade than you will with an intercooler. A larger blower like a novi 2000 will run cooler at higher boost than overspooling your S-trim at this point. I think you has a 2.87" pulley on it, which is already just a touch over the recommended max rpm. Anything more just makes more heat because you are way out of the blower's efficiency range.

The ideal set up would be a custom built igloo cooler. The standard aftercooler won't flow enough air for what you want. A large air-to-air might help some, but ask Tommy and Jason about the tuning fun you'll have!!!

I think you could upgrade to a T-trim for the same price as a SHM or fasttrack cooler.

David

·
Registered
413 Posts
BTW,

Do you always run race gas? I can't add enough timing to my car on 93 to makle good power, but on good gas it's a real hoot to drive now.

David

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
I really like my FastTrack cooler for my use. But ...my car is not a drag race car. I'm not convinced an A to A cooler benefits a drag race car around the 600 or so RW level , considering some lost boost, which you have to pulley down for, weight and complexity, and time it takes for A to A to get working. Maybe a custom designed A to (ice) water to A would be of benefit. I doubt if the current Vortech and Lightning systems would have enough capacity for your HP level. MHO

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys,

I just have to figure out which way I want to go with this thing..

David,yes I run race gas all the time..Its not worth teaing up my engine because of detonation to save a couple bucks a galllon..This thing sees very limited street use.I have been talking to Vortech about thier new JT trim(YStrim)..Im just trying to figure out if I want to stay supercharged,or go to the turbo setup...For now,atleast until fall Im done..I was just considering a intercooler to help cool things down a bit..

Joe Stewart,or Dave King..If ya'll read this..What setups have you gone with?.......

Tim

·
Registered
299 Posts
Tim--

Dave never ran an intercooler till his new combo now..Both him and Joe are now running a big Air to Water cooler thats in car like the SSO and Pro 5.0 boys use... Joe used an Air to Air cooler from SHM before that and ran some good numbers.... I would also look at Procharger's intercoolers, they have a big sheetmetal intercooler that is 3 core I believe and then a HUGE 6 core intercooler but thats $$$$$... Also, if you go with an Air to Air cooler, you shouldn't have any tuning problems as long as you go with a new mass air from Pro M, the Univer...They are the new blow thru design and work great with the Air to Air coolers.....They are also pricey though, about $500 or so and take along time to get as they are each custom made....Hope this helps tim...

Jeff

·
Registered
186 Posts
BlackCobra99Va said:
Tim--

Dave never ran an intercooler till his new combo now..Both him and Joe are now running a big Air to Water cooler thats in car like the SSO and Pro 5.0 boys use... Joe used an Air to Air cooler from SHM before that and ran some good numbers.... I would also look at Procharger's intercoolers, they have a big sheetmetal intercooler that is 3 core I believe and then a HUGE 6 core intercooler but thats $$$$$... Also, if you go with an Air to Air cooler, you shouldn't have any tuning problems as long as you go with a new mass air from Pro M, the Univer...They are the new blow thru design and work great with the Air to Air coolers.....They are also pricey though, about $500 or so and take along time to get as they are each custom made....Hope this helps tim...

Jeff
Correction: I never used a SHM intercooler, I use(d) a custom Spearco setup that I designed (which is for sale). I am changing to a very large ATI a/w intercooler. Dave is going to be using a a/a intercooler.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts