Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an RPM intake I'm going to do some mild port work to. Basically I'm looking to clean up the casting flash and port to a 1250 or 1262 gasket (I have Edel. 6032 heads).

1. Is there a purpose for the tapering of the runners as they flow into the heads? Will I be hurting my power/flow if I open these ports up?

2. Should I use a 1262 or a 1250 gasket, is there an advantage in using one over the other?

Any hints, tips or tricks anyone can offer?

Thanks,

Chris

·
Registered
592 Posts
Chris,

My advice is to think ahead. This applies whenever you are porting an intake manifold or an exhaust port on a head. While increasing the cross section and straightening turns will improve static flow numbers, what you really want to keep in mind is where the air goes next and how you can help it move through the next step, be it a head intake port or exhaust header. In your case, you want to help the air move from your intake into the head. So what you need to do is think about the transition between these two parts. Just as you need to set up your car to take a turn and keep as much forward momentum as possible for the exit, you need to set up your air stream for the head port.

If you want to spend a little time with your manifold, you might want to see how the air is flowing through, and out the ports with a threaded wand, if you have a shop vac. You want to be sure the air is channeled so that it shoots out the runners straight down the head ports.
http://www.geocities.com/jjonibones/thread.html

I would try to make sure that the air is exiting the intake manifold in a way that will point it straight into the head intake port, and make sure the air is not exiting at some ackward angle that will slam it against the walls of the head intake passage (retain momentum, exit speed).

I like to keep the intake runner exit slightly smaller than the head port for a street car.

Good luck and have fun.

John

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, thanks for the info, John, and the link. I'll have to take a look at all that and see if I can digest it. Looks pretty interesting, maybe I'll do a little experimenting with a threaded wand and my shop vac. :cool:

·
Registered
712 Posts
tmoss said:
I put together a simple article on porting the stock lower, but the same principals would be inlvolved for a Cobra family lower. It will be posted sometime tonight on

www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech
tmoss
do you do any port jobs on the side? do you have any suggestions on porting a performer rpm to match afr 165 heads? will the added airflow help my fti cam 54cc milled 165 afr heads?

·
Registered
10,941 Posts
oohwe306 said:
tmoss
do you do any port jobs on the side? do you have any suggestions on porting a performer rpm to match afr 165 heads? will the added airflow help my fti cam 54cc milled 165 afr heads?
Yes I do. Did you discuss this with Flowtech? You want to port match (sometimes involves gasket matching) your lower intake to the heads your using. If the ports for both are made for the same gasket or are already matched somehow, porting isn't necessary. Check to see what size gaskets fit both pieces.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
tmoss said:
If the ports for both are made for the same gasket or are already matched somehow, porting isn't necessary. Check to see what size gaskets fit both pieces.
So my RPM intake ought to match up well to my Edel. 6032 heads, right? Then it should just be a matter of smoothing out the casting flash on the intake?

·
Registered
10,941 Posts
Chris91LX said:
So my RPM intake ought to match up well to my Edel. 6032 heads, right? Then it should just be a matter of smoothing out the casting flash on the intake?
If they both take a Felpro 1250 gasket - yep just clean them up and bolt together.

·
Registered
6,262 Posts

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
It is best to use a flow bench on heads, and intakes. If you are not trying to race in a class, then just smooth the casting. Just remember that it is alot easier to remove more than to put it back. Alot of people want to go hog wild when porting, just a little thought. Removing the casting is only going to pick up about 10 cfm if lucky. Mostly need to let a professional do any major work(removal). People specialize in different feilds, so they can be good at them. You want see to many racers porting their on heads. Of course I port my heads, but I want touch a transmission. I put the heads on my flowbench flow them then add the intakes. Then I usually work the intake so it doesnt hurt the heads to much. One instance a victor head flowed 370 without the intake. Bolted on a super vic, and it dropped to 340. Now that needs alot of work.

Good Luck, Greg(XSR)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts