Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 96 mustang GT with a new edge Romeo swap. I am thinking about possible builds for the future. And i am settling on a helion twin turbo kit. And I want to rev it out to 8k.
I am aware of the limitations of stock internals. I am completely rebuilding the engine.
What I am not sure of is what intake manifold to use at 8k rpm with high boost.

Will the pi intake manifold hold up to this kind of abuse or will I need a different one? If I need a new manifold then which one do y'all recommend?

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
If you really want to spin it that high, go for the Victor intake, but get ready to
spend big money on not just the internals, cams, intake and turbo kit, but the factory computer doesn’t have timing and other tables for that many rpm, get ready to go stand-alone.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You're going to waste a lot of time and money building a 4.6 2V SOHC to spin that high.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder! I really like my car and I know what the 4.6 2v is really capable of.
Im asking people for their experience with this kind of build. Not recommendations for a "better car". Why don't we all get hellcat red-eyes? Lol

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I have no idea what not having timing and other tables means but Ive taken those stock ecus to 7600 rpm before with no problem. I dont see why another 400 would cause any issues.

You should consider a custom manifold and you will need the tfs R series heads to spin that high which means a big bore block.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have no idea what not having timing and other tables means but Ive taken those stock ecus to 7600 rpm before with no problem. I dont see why another 400 would cause any issues.

You should consider a custom manifold and you will need the tfs R series heads to spin that high which means a big bore block.
I need trick flow heads to rev that high? Why can't the pi heads handle that rpm?
Btw when I say rev to 8k I mean the ability to safely. Not at 8k constantly.

·
Registered
4,644 Posts
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder! I really like my car and I know what the 4.6 2v is really capable of.
Im asking people for their experience with this kind of build. Not recommendations for a "better car". Why don't we all get hellcat red-eyes? Lol
I didn't say get another car. I said you are going to waste a lot of time and money making a 2V turns those revs. That's all.

PI heads don't have the port volume and area to support those revs. Heavy porting might get you there.

You'd be further along to consider a 4V conversion and boosting that. On a budget you want a Mark VII 4.6 DOHC and 96-98 Cobra cams. From what I've read over the years, that would get your close on a budget.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Strange... My ported npi heads had to be held back to a rev limit of 6300rpm on its 5.4l. Those exact piston speeds to a 4.6l is 7200rpm. Thats getting it close! And since the pi head is far superior cause the market told you so.....lol..... The pi engine shouldnt have a problem touching 8k rev.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
For the record I have a mk8 with the 4.6dohc. I was debating to swap the engine with it. But from the research I've done, the weak point of the sohc is the internals not the block.

Does anyone have experience with mk8 engine swaps?

·
Registered
153 Posts
The internals are only weak when forced induced. I get it tho, build it to withstand for future boost, but why not go ahead and run it now naturally aspirated for now while scavenging more parts for the turbo build?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
While swapping my thermostat, I noticed that a pice of the manifold had cracked off and got lodged in the thermostat housing. It looks like the manifold is alright still. No leaks. I probably will get the Edelbrock Victor as a replacement.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.