Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I’ve decided on the emissions legal afr 185’s like these although I’m open to suggestions for any emissions legal heads that might be better. Anyway I’m starting to look at emissions legal intakes and fuel rails/injectors. I need to decide on the upper and lower intakes and also the kind of fuel rails I should be running for a 408w. I think I want 40lb injectors but not sure what brand. Also need to find a 90mm throttle body that will fit whatever intake I choose. Also do I need an intake with egr stuff to pass emissions or can it get by without a check engine light without them? Links would be great and thanks for the help!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Are you in California? Whenever I read posts like these I assume California but I do realize other states have strict emissions laws as well. Unfortunately, if you are in California, I believe the entire engine is just a hard no unless the vehicle in question came with a 351w from the factory. I'm guessing not. I'm sure there's people in CA who have 408s in their Fox (which I assume is what you have) and I don't know how they get around these things but perhaps that's another question to ask. I'd imagine they just slip through because the smog tech cannot tell the difference between an 8.2 and 9.5 deck block at a glance. Hopefully you're not in CA and can just ignore me and carry on.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im actually in NY. Not sure if that’s better but I think it is. I’m also putting this in an f-150 but I’ve seen the most help for 408’s on this forum. This f-150 also came with a 351w from factory.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Great! Seems like you should be able to figure it out then. I am sure whatever you do will somewhat limit the power potential of your 408- it is what it is. But maybe a Ford Lightning intake? It's OEM so must have been CARB legal. I don't think they're cheap though.

·
Premium Member
3,179 Posts
What year of F-150? In some States if the vehicle is over 25-30 years old then emission laws may not apply. Especially if it is registered as a "Classic" or "Special Interest" automobile. Your State probably has all of the information on a State Government web-site.

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
Good ol' NYS!

Once it's 25 years old in NYS it's a safety only inspection (regardless of plate type - regular or antique). The last F150 to have a 351W was made in 1996. That's 25 years ago so any 351W factory truck is out of emissions inspections. Build what ever 408W you want. Run a carb if you want. Enjoy.

Safety only inspection is brakes, tires, horn, lights, wipers, engine belts not broken or frayed (cracked serpentine belt without missing rib chunks are normal don't be told different).

You will no doubt see a long list of things to be checked. Be aware that the station can only charge you $10 for that inspection. They rarely check all those things. Every inspection station in NYS losses money on every inspection they do. NYS told my Father point blank dead serious to use the inspections to find things to recommend to fix when he expressed this to the DMV people that visited his dealership once.

·
Premium Member
3,179 Posts
That is the way it is in most States with an Inspection program. In Maine the fee is $12 and it absolutely is used as a tool to up-sell work. Obviously if the vehicle passes inspection then there is no need to buy un-necessary repairs. Put if it fails, then the customer pretty much has to have it fixed to get the inspection sticker. I have seen a lot of vehicles on the road with no sticker or an expired one. Usually the fine for no sticker is much less than what it would cost to bring the vehicle into compliance. People just gamble that they won't get caught.

·
Registered
'87 Cougah 428W - ⚡Cougar7.0⚡
5,274 Posts
NH is similar for older vehicles. They do charge $30-$35 for inspection, which is fine as I bring several cars to the same place so they don't feel obligated to up-sell. 2 are safety only so it's quick money.

·
Registered
269 Posts
In Colorado 1975 and older is emissions exempt with a 5-year "Collectors Vehicle" tag. 1976 and newer must be 32-years-old (so currently 1976-1989) and still requires an emissions test every five years along with a signed affidavit that the vehicle will be driven no more than 4500 miles per year. The only benefit of this type of Collector Status is doing emissions every five years instead of every two years, with the downside of the mileage limitation. 1982 and older vehicles get a standard sitting tail pipe sniffer test. 1983 and newer get an enhanced test conducted on rollers under various levels of acceleration, cruise and deceleration. That's my understanding. They don't exactly make it easy to discern a definitive answer for each scenario.

We only do the inspection on things like kit cars, I think maybe salvage-titles being made road-worthy again, and if you need a new VIN for some other reason.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good ol' NYS!

Once it's 25 years old in NYS it's a safety only inspection (regardless of plate type - regular or antique). The last F150 to have a 351W was made in 1996. That's 25 years ago so any 351W factory truck is out of emissions inspections. Build what ever 408W you want. Run a carb if you want. Enjoy.

Safety only inspection is brakes, tires, horn, lights, wipers, engine belts not broken or frayed (cracked serpentine belt without missing rib chunks are normal don't be told different).

You will no doubt see a long list of things to be checked. Be aware that the station can only charge you $10 for that inspection. They rarely check all those things. Every inspection station in NYS losses money on every inspection they do. NYS told my Father point blank dead serious to use the inspections to find things to recommend to fix when he expressed this to the DMV people that visited his dealership once.
This truck is a 1996. Are you sure?? Everything I’ve read from the dmv says it has to pass obd-II and 95 and older gets the real sniffer test. If you’re right then, holy crap that’s awesome.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

so once a vehicle is 25 years old, obd-II or not, it needs the “low enhanced inspection” or no smog test. Am I interpreting that right?

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
View attachment 1073918
so once a vehicle is 25 years old, obd-II or not, it needs the “low enhanced inspection” or no smog test. Am I interpreting that right?
What's this garbage? Go look at the NYS DMV link I posted. That's the skinny. Once a vehicle is 25 years old in NY it's safety only. $10 bucks. And yes I am positive.

Low Enhanced is for non-OBD-II cars that are not yet 25 years old. Once 25 years old, safety only baby!

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
View attachment 1073918
In NY all vehicles need to have a visual inspection that the emissions equipment is still in place: cats, air pump etc.

On my 90 they just do a safety and do a visual look at everything. It was such a pain when they were putting the car on the chassis dyno with a dmv camera watching.

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
This truck is a 1996. Are you sure?? Everything I’ve read from the dmv says it has to pass obd-II and 95 and older gets the real sniffer test. If you’re right then, holy crap that’s awesome.
It looks like they will hook the scanner up to the obd II port on a 96. The scanner doesn't know what heads etc are on the car. Just can't have and check engine codes thrown for it to pass the scanner test.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I’m in Rochester so upstate. So do I have to hook up to Obd-II, a visual inspection, or nothing to do with emissions? I’m getting mixed answers but all of them are greatly appreciated! Also sorry for being a pain but I’m 14 and building this truck for when I’m 16 and don’t have a whole lot of knowledge on the laws and such.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Are you in California? Whenever I read posts like these I assume California but I do realize other states have strict emissions laws as well. Unfortunately, if you are in California, I believe the entire engine is just a hard no unless the vehicle in question came with a 351w from the factory. I'm guessing not. I'm sure there's people in CA who have 408s in their Fox (which I assume is what you have) and I don't know how they get around these things but perhaps that's another question to ask. I'd imagine they just slip through because the smog tech cannot tell the difference between an 8.2 and 9.5 deck block at a glance. Hopefully you're not in CA and can just ignore me and carry on.
It's comments like this that don't help people in the future. And part of the reason CARB exists (approvals). Counties have enhancements, yes, but unless you've dealt with it, no need to create FUD.

·
Vendor
13,024 Posts
These inspections you guys speak of, cant be more than 7 minutes just glancing over anything right? 10 dollars? Luckily illinois hasnt adopted this scam YET. But anything 25 years or older, regardless doesnt do emissions or anything.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok… majority of people say 25 years and older don’t need emissions, so that’s what I’m going with. Thanks a lot for the info guys. You saved me some $$$, and gave me some more horsepower!

·
Registered
269 Posts
It's comments like this that don't help people in the future. And part of the reason CARB exists (approvals). Counties have enhancements, yes, but unless you've dealt with it, no need to create FUD.
Since you didn't point out exactly where I was in error, your comment is pretty unhelpful as well. But as long as it made you feel smugly superior, it's not totally worthless.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts