Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm replacing my upper air assembly (air box, upper manifold, whatever) with one that is ported and polished from Ben Alameda racing. Question, what do I torque the bolts to? I don't wanna crack the plastic manifold. Should I replace gaskets at the same time? Since this is pretty low pressure I figure if the gaskets come off ok they don't need to be replaced.

Oh, it's a 2001 GT with about 35,000 miles. Anyone wanna buy my old upper air assembly?

·
US Air Force Active Duty
1,941 Posts
Torque them until your elbow clicks. Just don't monkey them down is the only thing you need to worry about. I re-used my gasket about 5 times so far, and it was still good. You should be fine to re-use it...just make sure it's not ripped.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
LByellowStang, I ordered it but don't have it yet. I will try to take some pictures when I get it.

In the meantime, the June issue of MM&FF has an article and test on the ones Ben sells. It's on page 116. They picked up 10HP and 14.9 lb-ft of torque. Some pictures that should help you.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
troynm said:
They picked up 10HP and 14.9 lb-ft of torque.
FYI...people here have dyno tested the parts and had almost no increase on an NA car, and losses on a SC car. A gentle reminder to not believe everything you read.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep, buyer beware. I believe it will help some out here in the high desert. We, like Denver, are a mile high. Most everyone here trys to cram or otherwise streamline airflow as much as possible. Can't afford a supercharger and for the price it's no big deal if it doesn't work.

I do believe they got the gains posted in the magazine, dunno if I will get the same or not. I think it depends somewhat on what you have on your car already. Mine is bone stock except for exhaust, so we will see.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
LByellowStang said:
hmmm, do you have pictures of your new one, I have been working on porting and polish one, I took pics, http://www.drivesfast.com/intake/ I want to know about what it should look like...
Not bad, but there's alot more you can do to make it flow more. Looks like you concetrated on the polishing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts