Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installing my viton seals from Alex's... My question is do I put a touch of lube on them or just push em on??

·
Registered
9,292 Posts
Assembly lube or oil is what I have always used

Reactions: Bentley

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am having to put a correct sized socket and lightly tapping them down the last 1/8 inch or so... Is that normal? Should they bottom out?

·
Registered
9,292 Posts
Yes that is typical. They do make a specific tool to help install valve seals. I recommend the tool over the socket method

The danger with sockets is they might cause damage to the top of the seal depending on the size/shape of the socket. Something to pay attention to and watch out for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes that is typical. They do make a specific tool to help install valve seals. I recommend the tool over the socket method

The danger with sockets is they might cause damage to the top of the seal depending on the size/shape of the socket. Something to pay attention to and watch out for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thankyou, I am being as careful as possible, but you know how that goes.. Thanks for the help

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Another question... Measuring my spring height.. I have .015 and .030 shims.. One spring is .010 over.. leave it?

·
Registered
9,292 Posts
I forget what the allowed variance was. I want to say +/- 0.020" but i'd have to do some digging.

I'd probably install the 0.015 shim meaning it will measure 0.005" under your set height. Then i would tap the valve with a rubber hammer to jounce it a bit and remeasure it. You may find it you've gained a tiny bit of length. I remember doing this to all my springs before measuring.

I would defer to someone with a little more experience however as it's been almost 2 years since I installed my last set of springs.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'd probably install the 0.015 shim meaning it will measure 0.005" under your set height. Then i would tap the valve with a rubber hammer to jounce it a bit and remeasure it. You may find it you've gained a tiny bit of length. I remember doing this to all my springs before measuring.
So you did this then removed the spring and measured again? The fancy little micrometer Alex's sold me measures the height where the spring goes without the spring installed...... I had thought about installing the 015 shim too....

·
Registered
9,292 Posts
So you did this then removed the spring and measured again? The fancy little micrometer Alex's sold me measures the height where the spring goes without the spring installed...... I had thought about installing the 015 shim too....

I think I did. To be honest i can't really remember now. I do recall performing the above procedure but am now second-guessing myself. I'll let others chime in here.

But given 0.010" longer, or 0.005" shorter, i'd take the 0.005"

·
Registered
9,292 Posts
It came to me in my sleep.

I used checker springs. The ones sold specifically for this purpose were a tad light so i bought springs from Mcmaster or Grainger or one of the big industrial distributors. I assembled my shims, spring and retainers and measured. I would tap the valve a few times to make sure the retainer was fully seated and measure. Once i was good with the number I swapped the spring out for the real spring

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I pulled the 3 seals I had installed and threw them away with some new ones ordered..
Thanks for the lead on the valve seal installer, it works so nice..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts