Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm installing them tomorrow on my buddies 97 or 98(forgot what year it is) GT. They are FRP short tube headers, no instructions or gaskets came with the headers. I am mechanically incline and I have access to a hoist. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, heard they are a pain. I don't know where to start!

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I'll try to give you a short version of the instructions I have.
Disconn. batt., Disconn. hego sensor from cat (retain), remove cats and crossover as unit. PASS. SIDE: Remove starter, Remove exhaust manifold nuts and lower front stud, Support engine with jack and remove motor mount bolts, Raise engine 1.5", check engine clears nearby parts, remove exhaust manifold and gasket then remove remaining studs, install new manifold and gasket. Install bolts, torque to 15-20 ft-lbs, lower engine, TIGHTEN MOTOR MOUNT BOLTS, reinstall starter.
DRIVER SIDE: Disconnect EGR tube at exhaust manifold., loosen bolt on steering shaft collar at the rack, separate collar from rack by prying shaft backward and place shaft out of the way, remove dipstick tube, remove exhaust manifold nuts, remove exhaust manifold and gasket and then remove studs, install studs in exit flange of manifold, install new manifold and gasket, the dipstick tube needs to be reinstalled between the exhaust flange and the engine block prior to the installation of the manifold, install provided bolts and torque to 15-20 ft-lbs., reinstall the steering shaft and tighten the bolt on the collar, attach EGR tube to manifold, reinstall cat assembly, reconnect hego sensors, reconnect battery, start engine, test for leaks---go get many beers!

Good Luck

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
To make things 100% easier, drop the K-member. But IMO I wouldn't put them on the car. Shorties don't make any power. IF your gonna do headers, get longtubes. Have him wait and sell the shorties and get LT's. It's worth the wait. -Mark

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Do not use the SVO supplied gasket they are real POS!! Go buy the Ford steel factory ones or you will be replacing the SVO gaskets by years end..

Disconect the O2 sensors
Remove the h-pipe
Remove the starter (3 bolts)
Remove driver side motor mount
Jack engine from tranny bellhousing 1.5 inches (find a piece of wood).
Remove EGR tube fron the front of the manifold (buy some liquid wrench to unfreeze stubborn bolts).
Remove eight manifold nuts and off comes the manifold.
Install the new no horse power SVO headers& gasket.
Bolt in the egr tube.
Install the starter.
Re-install the motor mount nut.

Driver side manifond

Remove motor mount nut.
remove the egr tube nuts, (two of them, front & back side of manifold).
Opt. you might have to remove the steering shaft knuckle bolt, (check for clearance).
Jack the engine 1.5 inches
Remove the 8 manifold nuts.
Install the headers & gaskets.

Torque specs.

Header bolts= 15-22 ftlb
motor mount nuts= 90 ftlb

Tips
Re-use the the stock manifold studs & bolts.
Be sure you finger on all eight header nuts before tightning. If the manifold stud happens to follow the manifold nut during removal, the stud heads is a 5mm, so go find a 5mm socket before starting the job...DO NOT USE ANTI-SIEZE OR LOC-TITE ON ANY OF THE HEADER BOLTS OR STUDS...Good-Luck..DA Snake Boy!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts