Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car is a 1990 and has those coolant lines coming from the hard coolant line mounted just above the lower intake manifold. What should I use to block these passages?? I have seen the two lines connected but would rather not have that extra tubes dangeling over my inake, Is there a nipple or something I can use to block the two holes with???

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea i know that is an option - but I would prefer not to have to do that - I rather cap the two openings off and not bother with that ugly line going the length of the lower intake. If I go that route - do you know the diameter of that line so I can get some plastic tube to connect them??

·
Registered
7,463 Posts
i ust did this install. I put a vacumn cap with hose clamp on the front one and I plugged the back on with a pipe plug. So far this has worked well. Just did it over the weekend.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok - thanks guys - this is what I am talking about - I can get the vacumm caps at Autozone- but what is a "pipe plug"? Is the hole in the back the same size as the opening in the front of the intake.

At the lastest Mustangs Unlimted car show I saw them plugged with a vacumm cap but never saw what the was plugged with.

again wldtang - pipe plug??

·
Registered
7,463 Posts
My def. of a pipe plug is this. I may be worng but it is my understanding. A pipe plug is metal plug that is slightly tapered so that it gets tighter the further it goes in. Any other plug is just a straight plug the will keep threading through like a bolt does a hole.
Just take your back plug out and take it to autozone with you and ask them to give you a plug with those size threads. Tell them you just want to plug a hole. They should be able to help but then again if they are like the local autozones here they might not be able to. :mad:

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
great - thanks for your clarification-

Just one more question - why bother with the pipe plug in back? Cant I just cap it with a vacumm cap like I will be doing with the front?? Is there something different about the back coolant opening that will not allow me to cap it like I intend on doing with the front?

·
Registered
7,463 Posts
You could cap it the same way as the other one but I just like the security of the pipe plug. I know it is not going to go anywhere.
Either way though should work just fine.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I would only recommend using a pipe plug. The reason I say this is because I used both the pipe plug and a vacuum plug. If you're not going to use a pipe plug, pressure test the coolant system prior to driving the car. When I installed mine, I didn't use pipe plugs at first and I found out the hard way. After smelling and seeing smoke coming from the back of the engine, I couldn't figure out where the hell the coolant was coming from. I then pressure tested the cooling system, and oh boy did I find leaks. The vacuum caps I had on the back blew off causing coolant to fly everywhere. So of course, I had to take the upper plenium off AGAIN and use pipe plugs this time. Once I installed the pipe plugs I pressure tested the whole system again and no more leaks. So save yourself the trouble of possibly having to take everything apart again and get pipe plugs. Like the guy previous to me stated, take the pipe plug out of your old manifold and take it to the hardware store and match them up. Good luck, and one more bit of advice, if you took the injectors out, make sure you get new O rings for them. I found out the hard way again by not replacing them. Replacing an intake manifold isn't that hard if you know what you are doing and did one before, but if this is your first time, just be careful and mark everything. Oh and for an extra bit of security, put some thread sealer on the threads of the pipe plug prior to putting them in.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So it is my understanding the rear opening is on the intake itself and not a hole in the hard line like it is in front??

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ttt

·
Registered
7,463 Posts
Here is some interested news for you. I just had this happen to me. I put a vacumn cap on the front port to cap it off. Today the vacumn cap gave way. Antifreeze everywhere. So I double capped it with two vacumn lines. One small and a larger one over top of it. I am hoping this will hold. The single one ripped. If this does not work i will have to find an alternative. Can you say welding it shut?:D

·
Registered
7,463 Posts
The purpose for plugging them is the simple fact that they are not used on the cobra intake. No horsepower gain that I am aware of. Just not needed on the particular intake.

·
Registered
7,463 Posts
explain why! I do not understand why you would need to plug off the egr. How would you plug off the egr?

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I'm confused????

I just bought a Cobra intake and it's down at the plate shop getting chromed. What holes in the intake are you guys talking about that I will need to plug. When I was first reading this post, I thought you were talking about the heater tubes. Anyone got a pic? This is the first I've heard that I will need to plug some coolant lines in my Cobra intake. :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
well the egr is allowing 1300* exhaust into your intake, whick is what the 180* coolant lines are cooling off. so if you do not find a way to block your egr you are heating your intake manifold. that is anti horse power.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Just curious, but I'm wondering what Ford did to handle this when they put this intake on the 93 Cobra from the factory????

1 - 20 of 25 Posts