Ford Mustang Forums banner

101 - 104 of 104 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,090 Posts
I don't understand the following comment " I have been told by multiple people it was just like the 00r kit which is BS. " The 2000 Mustang Cobra R front brake kit has almost exactly the same piston area as the 1994-98 Mustang Cobra front brake caliper does. I can't see what possible controversy there could be there.

The brake bias percentages from the MM website, which are reprinted in post #88, will not match the values that most people calculate. The calculations on the MM website take into account two other factors.

1) The Varga caliper has a screw running through the middle of the bore for the parking brake function. You must remove the cross sectional area of this screw, when determining the calipers piston area. This is about 59mm^2.

2) The effective brake rotor diameters are used, not the OD of the brake rotors. Calculating the effective rotor diameter accurately is not simple. You have to do an integration problem on the shape of the brake pad. If you take the pads radial height/ divide this by two and subtract this from the rotor's OD, that will be very close to the effective diameter for the rotor.

When doing brake system calculations on a brake system with a sliding caliper, you need to double the piston area for these calipers. This is because the sliding caliper effectively doubles the force which is clamping the brake pads to the rotor. When the pad on the side with the piston pushes against the brake rotor, there is an equal and opposite force conducting through the caliper to the brake pad on the other side of the rotor, which squeezes on the opposite of the rotor. Technically you shouldn't double the piston area of the caliper, you just double the force with which the caliper clamps the rotor, but for our purposes here, the effect is the same.

The brake pedal ratio is completely irrelevant with respect to the brake bias. The pedal ratio only affects the force/travel relationship. You can't analyze the pedal ratio by itself. You must also take into account the amount of assist and travel changes in any servo mechanism. Given that Ford used four different brake pedal ratios and three different assist mechanisms on the SN95 Mustangs, this is far to complication to analyze here.

This looks very promising.

What year range was the 43mm Varga caliper used on a Taurus? It most be post 1993, or I'm sure that Ford would have used this caliper variation on the 1993 Mustang Cobra. It would give it more balanced braking.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I don't understand the following comment " I have been told by multiple people it was just like the 00r kit which is BS. " The 2000 Mustang Cobra R front brake kit has almost exactly the same piston area as the 1994-98 Mustang Cobra front brake caliper does. I can't see what possible controversy there could be there.
My statement was in regards to the ATS caliper setup being discussed here and had absolutely nothing to do with the 94-98 cobra brakes.

To further clarify I have brought up the brake bias issue caused by the larger ATS caliper pistons with people selling "bolt on kits" on Facebook and craigslist only to be told the ATS caliper was basically the same as the 00r kit and the bias is the same.

Thank you for everything else you posted directed at me or not. It's always nice to hear from people who unlike me know exactly what they are talking about.

·
Registered
8,327 Posts
What year range was the 43mm Varga caliper used on a Taurus? It most be post 1993, or I'm sure that Ford would have used this caliper variation on the 1993 Mustang Cobra. It would give it more balanced braking.
1993 - 2000 Taurus/Sable/Continental.

I purchased Cardone part number 18B4537 for the test fit. The opposite side is 18B4536

I think the poster was referring to the statement about the ATS Brembos being identical to the 00R brembo brakes. We know this isn't the case, but it is something i've seen frequently mentioned when considering how these brakes affect bias.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Well, damn it. Now I have a brand new set of Power Stop S4824A that I need to get rid of.

I believe that the new edge 1999-2004 master cylinders (with traction control) are also 1-1/16.

101 - 104 of 104 Posts