Ford Mustang Forums banner

Installed ZEX kit, wow!

2K views 22 replies 9 participants last post by  vortechstang 
#1 ·
Hey guys. I just finished installing and "testing" my car. I put on a ZEX dry kit 75hp shot for now. I think I'll try the 100 tomorrow. Anyway, I made sure and had my timing at around 9 degrees, I installed the Autolite 103s, had 93 octane in there with a can of octane booster-just for the added peace of mind. :) The car screams with this setup... its great! Its WOT activated so as soon as I flip the switch at around 3000rpms, it hauls ass. I never heard a hint of detonation. It sounded like it wasnt beating on the engine at all. I've never ridden in a boosted car, but it feels just like my buddy's p/p headswapped car. How much hp is the 75 shot at the wheels? Does ZEX measure their's in flywheel or rearwheel hp? Also how much torque do you think its putting out now? Thanks guys, this is definately a great mod! :D

Thanks again, Hocke0233.

#2 ·
Im not sure if ZEX measures from the flywheel or wheels. I do know that the n20 is probably putting out more torque than hp. In my probe with the spray, it felt as though i gained a lot more torque that hp. Also, are you using the stock intake manifold? I heard the stock ones are plastic like and do not hold up well with n20

#3 ·
Be careful withn stovck intake plastic = mo tgood with nitrous. Whiops I have been drinking!!!!! Sorry stupid post but I wouls say you are getting around 275 to 300 or soo at the wjheels with the nitrous rwhp that is, 330 to 380 rwtq to the whheelsa with nitruous. I am trying tom help but margaritas and bud=light for carbs yoiu know. I bet it runs good; Iam glad you have got the waveous to hiot it with nitroud Iam scareed. Happy hanuchak too you!!!

#4 ·
97black4.6, its a dry shot and not bad for the intake.

#6 ·
So your saying that with a dry shot, it will not effect the manifold. Im not sure if i want to spray the mustang, I only sprayed my probe because it had a lot of miles and was not to worried about it, but i really miss the feeling of hitting that switch:) I just dont see how there would be a difference between a wet shot and a dry shot as far as cracking the manifold

#8 ·
I put in the 100 shot today. The motor handled it exactly as it did the 75, very smoothly and the power was definately there. My motor seems to love the stuff. :) I think the autolite 103s are a very good plug for this setup. It idles fine and drives around town like stock. I kept all of my tuning the same as I did with the 75 shot. I think its kind of how people say dont go with 3.73s because when you try 4.10s you are gonna wonder why you ever had 3.73s... I think a 75 shot is exactly the same. I'm gonna stick with the 100.

#10 ·
99svt32v said:
well im glad ur happy, the tq is addictive. but when u have to fill up the bottle all the time, and get sick of having an empty bottle you will realize that mechanical forced induction is kick ass.

Yeah, I am already beginning to worry about when the bottle will be empty. :)

Also, I keep thinking about my poor automatic transmission.. hopefully it can handle the torque too. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

#11 · (Edited)
redride said:
I made sure and had my timing at around 9 degrees, I installed the Autolite 103s, had 93 octane in there with a can of octane booster-just for the added peace of mind.
This is way overkill, man. Keep the timing at the stock 10 degrees, 93 gas, and do not use octane booster. Most brands are POS and are not reliable. Besides, its not needed at this level of nitrous. Up to 100 shot is fine. Once you start spraying 125-150, then you may need race gas of like 100-105 octane and maybe 8-9 degrees of timing.

#12 ·
Ryan, thanks for the input. So I should put my timing back at 10 degrees then? Its only at 9 so its not too far off. I'll lay off the octane booster from now on, I dont trust them anyway. I was just trying to be super safe. :)

#14 · (Edited)
redride said:
So I should put my timing back at 10 degrees then? Its only at 9 so its not too far off. I'll lay off the octane booster from now on, I dont trust them anyway. I was just trying to be super safe. :)
I would put it at 10 because it wil run more efficient that way. Most good nitrous companies advise against retarding timing from stock anyway. As long as you are running 93 octane, stock timing is perfect. I know people running 11-12 degrees, but I would advise against that if you haven't had it on the dyno to see a/f readings, etc.

BTW, I see you two guys are from Orlando. We should meet up at the Gainesville Raceway this Wednesday or something. :)

#16 ·
Joe, I work tomorrow night til 11 that might be too late for ya.. I dont know. Maybe Monday. I definately would like to run your car to compare. Also, the bottle might almost be empty so I'll need to get it filled again. The bottle is getting really light. :) That 100shot doesnt last very long. :) I'm going to put the timing at 10 degrees tomorrow... thanks for the suggestions.

#18 ·
Blownup5.0 said:
I was told by the guy's at NOS to retard the timing 2 degree's for every 50hp of nitrous. That was when I had my 90 5ltr, I don't know if the same rules apply to the 4.6's. I'm new to the 4.6 game fella's. :cool:
This is basically true. Most 4.6s run 14-15 degrees timing with 93 octane. So with a 100 shot, stock 10 degrees is perfect.

#19 ·
I ran the 125 for the longest time before the swap with stock timing, stock plugs and 93 octane. No problems no hint of detenation either. Went from 14.8 to 14.1 with 75. and 14.8 to 13.7 @105 with the 125.
I love nitrous and will be putting it back on with the new setup.
I would just make sure you invest in some gauges (fuel pressure, Nitrous pressure, and a good Air fuel gauge.)

Oh and for your tranny i would get a trans cooler, helped out alot for those multiple hits at the track.

#20 ·
Hey guys. If you decide to come up here to Gainesville, maybe we could have some kind of get together. On the first Friday of the month, there is a Friday night test and tune. That is usually a lot of fun (not too many people). The next one is going to be Aug. 1.

#21 ·
how about next month * Sept* hopefully by then I'll have the blower on, and a place to stay at UF,

VortStang you have a Automatic? #'s seem a lil low, how many pounds of boost you p ushing?

Thanks

Oh on my 96 Engine (with this zex kit)

I ran a 14.1 at 108.6 in orlando.

#22 ·
Black2VGT said:
I ran the 125 for the longest time before the swap with stock timing, stock plugs and 93 octane. No problems no hint of detenation either. Went from 14.8 to 14.1 with 75. and 14.8 to 13.7 @105 with the 125.
I love nitrous and will be putting it back on with the new setup.
I would just make sure you invest in some gauges (fuel pressure, Nitrous pressure, and a good Air fuel gauge.)

Oh and for your tranny i would get a trans cooler, helped out alot for those multiple hits at the track.
Yeah I'm thinking about the 125, but I would want to upgrade my fuel pump first. Those numbers with your automatic seem pretty good. Were you running 3.73s at that time?

By the way, I checked my spark plugs again (Autolite 103s) and they look really, really brown. Is this normal?

Gainsville sounds like it would be a lot of fun. Maybe I can follow you up there Joe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.