Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

Just finished up the rear end in Project NOVI tonight and I thought I would post some pics of the new rear coil over from Dave @ Jds Performance. The kit retails for $195 and you will need to buy a set of Lakewood shocks.

Here is the pic from Jds:

The install took me about 2 hours. You only need minor hand tools for the install. The kit comes with everything you need.

The good:
You can adjust the ride height up and down by 3 inches.
The springs and kit are high quality and easy to install.
Works fine with Mega bite juniors.
I MUCH more room for my big 275/40/17

The bad:
You cannot run the quad shocks, although with coil-overs, you will not need them.

I will be posting an installation article in a week or so for those interested. I have not driven the car as of yet, motor is not in, but I jacked the rear end up and compressed the springs, they are tough! Considering the length of the spring, I would have though the opposite.

Some pics:

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey,

The kit is from Jds Performance

The kit only works with Lakewood (I went with 50/50)

The front will also be coil over, probably Lakewoods in the front as well. I am not there yet, pics will be posted when I do :)

Ian

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
Very Nice!! Too bad there isn't a kit for the Tokicos, I would have had it on my car a long time ago...
oh well

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
I spoke to Dave last week about this kit.. too bad its for Lakewood only.. I dont want to get rid of my Tokicos either.

Looks like a good deal
Adam

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
NO MANRZ: You gain allot of tire clearance, I have about 1/2 inch more room for the big rubber. The springs are stiffer, and they should provide better weight transfer.

Burns302: Thanks :D I really like the way they look. I have all of my car parts shipped to Ogdensberg NY, and then I drive to pick them up. I do not think Dave even knows I am Canadian. If you get them shipped to NY, you can make a fake receipt and save some money on tax, and that huge UPS fee.

As for the price, just convert it:
$195 USD + $20 shipping + $5 for bridge toll *1.6 (conversion) = $352.

If you are interested in the NY idea, send me an
e-mail and I can give you more details. I have everything sent there, even my cage :D

Ian

·
Registered
123 Posts
I saw them on their website and probably will get the kit, super price. Will they work with any LCA? Specifically ssm's, and I already have a set of standard lakewood 50/50 drag shocks. Why would it be bad not being able to use the quad shocks? Seems that once you upgrade to a stiff LCA the wheelhop should be eliminated(wasn't the purpose of the quad shock to control wheehop?).

How does the black spring perch attatch to the shock. The threaded piece that the spring rests on?

Other than tire clearance is the kit supposed to keep the car going straight off the line?

Looks good though.

·
Registered
27 Posts
This kit will work with shocks other than lakewoods, you just may need to modify things a bit. I installed it with koni reds and had to modify the following: shock eye bushings need turned to smaller diameter, dust cover needs cut off of shock and ground down to diameter of the shock piston, top spring perch needs to be drilled out to accommodate the larger koni shock piston. 88cobra, you said it works fine with megabite Jr's? What did you do about the lower shock mount stud being too short for the mount on the megabite Jr? I had to buy a odd sized lugnut and grind down the knurl to fit. Also, are you sure you mounted the lower shock mounts right side up? Here's an attempt to link to an individual's site who helped me out with the install directions:
http://www.mikesjunk.com/musrcoil.html . As you see he has the mounts oriented 180 degrees from what you have (i mounted mine like his).

·
Formerly AHD
351 Posts
They are installed wrong

I have the same kit, got it from ground pounder. Its actually the same kit that everyone sells. And yes your lower mounts are installed upside down. The end with the washer welded to the bracket should be instralled at the top. This is to compensate for the angle created by the axle mount. You can use it with other shocks. I am using competition engineering coil overs. You just have to grind off the indicator plate, located at the top of the shaft. Plus you don't install the brass bushings that come with the kit, because the competition shocks have a smaller bushing size. Only good thing is that there bushings are much harder than the normal size bushings.

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You guys have such keen eyes :D

Yes when I first installed them, I did it the wrong way :eek: No instructions. I have now corrected it, and we are good to go. As mentioned, I had to get another bolt because of the Mega bites.

Ian

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
another benefit of a rear coil over is weight savings. the spring is light compared to the big stock springs and also the adjustability of rear ride height. To take full advantage of the weight savings you can buy lower control arms from Ground Pounder that don't have spring perches on them at all. I am going to use a kit similar to this on my 94.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.