Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I get behind the gauges to replace the new cable. I see two screws that hold the dash but there has gotta be more. If someone can give me the run down on what to remove to get back there it will be greatly appreciated. thanks.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Star sockets?

You will have to purchase a set of sockets that have the "star" pattern. I am not exacly sure what they are called. However, I purchased a set from Checker or Autozone for real cheap. They simply work with your existing socket ratchet. Make sense? I hope this helps somewhat....

·
Registered
535 Posts
There are some screws where your knees are as well. Comes off in layers. Once you have the cluster out you have to reach behing the speedo and pinch the connector, pull towards the firewall and walla, it is off the speedo.

Your speedo cable comes out from the inside the car. Some advice from a painful lesson learned. TIE A STRING TO THE OTHER END. This will help with the install of the new cable as it will serve to guide you back to the firewall. If you don't do something like this you will quickly become an aggrevated contorsionist (sp). reverse the procedure and you are done. Anywhere from a 30 min to 1.5 hour job depending on frustrations experienced.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok little update. Man that string idea is pretty good now that I got the cable out. oh well ill have my bro crawl under there. Well i got the cable out ok. The cable that I purchased from Reynolds ford was of course the wrong one. So they had to order it from Memphis, Tenn. I live in Norman, Ok. So it will be here friday. My car will just have to sit with the dash apart. The hardest part was the plastic piece by knee. I took out the screws but the things that held them in place were quite a job to get them loose. I didnt realize it was that hard to pop it out. I thought I was going to break the piece. Another thing. The little rubber dust shields around the steering column are held on by plastic nubs w/ little metal lockers. They are just breaking off. Kinda frustrating and it doesnt seem like anyway to fix it. Hey guys thanks for the help. I wish I would have thought of the string idea. I am already dreading that this friday arrggghhhhh.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Use a light from the engine side so he can hit the hole.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I did it today. Didnt have 1 problem. We got it done in about 30 mins from the start. No string used. Just found the fasteners and walla , no more dried up speedo cable. :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The cable I had in the car was from DMP (Dave's Mustang Parts). They are in New Mexico. That sucker rattled like like none other. Although I think it came off a wrecked mustang. It was only like $25. The one I got from Ford (of course it was more than double) was almost $70. Wasnt to happy about the price but if it fixes the problem it will have been worth it. I would try LRS mustang supply (Latemodel Restoration Supply) I have bought stuff from them and they have always been good parts and the people are very knowledgable.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I scored an 84 model speedo cable with the VSS on the end and a 23 tooth gear for $13 shipped off eBay. Kinda risky, but it was off a car with less than 100k miles, and it looked FLAWLESS when I opened the box.

Ahhh. It's SUPER nice to ride in a silenced speedo cable car again after 3 years of "shika shika shika shika". ;)

Bad news... Now I think my speedo is going out, because it'll make some raunchy noise from time to time, and bounce hard like broken teeth when travelling under 10 mph when it would usually barly register on the speedo. :( Oh well. Time for the 140 MPH cop speedo upgrade. ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts