Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How tight are injectors supposed to be inside aftermarket fuel rails? I have the Holley (Rochester) 96 lb/hr injectors in a Pro Mustang (Coast High) Super Victor EFI manifold with their jumbo fuel rails.

The fuel rails don't have a lip to physically stop the injector tip from protruding right up into the top of the rail, and I can push the whole rail and injectors down until the rail mounting tab touches on the manifold where the injector bungs have been welded on.

This seems like a pretty loose fit, but I've never felt how tight a standard 5.0 rail is.... Should I make up some spacers to shim up the rail mounting tabs, or is everything alright like it is?

Thanks a lot for your advice:)

Craig

·
Registered
125 Posts
Pro-mustang rails...

Hey there Craig...I had the same problem...Here is what can happen, as it happened to me on a dyno pull.. One of the injectors #4 specifically popped out of the rail at around 5000 rpm and sprayed hot fuel EVERYWHERE..almost causing a fire, as well as damaging some detail paint work I had done under the hood. In addition to this I leaned out so bad....If not for race gas I'm sure I would have blown up!! This is not desirable! Here is what you need to do. Call Vortech up and order the retaining clips (8 of them) that are used with their rails...use those on your injectors to prevent them from going to far up into the rails...Next, remove the tabs that hold the rails to the injector bungs (4 of them) and use a dremel or drill press to "slot" the holes a little..(to allow you to push the rails down slightly while tightening)..This will give the extra tightening that is required. Don't make them too tight, you just want them so there aren't loose. Well, good luck from someone who has been there!
Jason

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
I actually went a different route with the intake. I lopped off the top of the bung on the injector holes and then chamfered them. This allows the injector to sit much lower and tighter in the intake. I fabricated some brackets that bolt the rails down to the intake manifold using 4 of the lower intake manifold bolts to hold the rails down.

I can take some pictures to show what I am talking about.

LXRACR - I saw your car last year at Knotts. Great looking car. Our motor combinations are very similiar.

·
Registered
125 Posts
THANKS NOVI357, I APPRECIATE THE COMMENTS..KEEP AN EYE OUT FOR IT, IT WAS JUST FILMED FOR MM & FF MAGAZINE!! PRETTY SWEET...JASON

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Jason and Novi! As it is at the moment, should the base of the injector be touching the top of the injector bung? This would probably make me feel better, because I can grab the fuel rail and move it side to side by about 2 inches! I was thinking about slotting the rail tab holes to make things tighter. Do the Vortech clips install above the injector? Does everyone have this problem with aftermarket rails?

I DON'T want fuel spraying throughout the engine bay..... especially in a plastic car:eek:

Thanks guys!

Craig

·
Registered
125 Posts
Rails..

Slotting the rail support tabs will allow the set-up to be tighter, this will help you out. The Vortech rail clips are "C" shaped and clip onto the milled in groove at the TOP of the injector. This will keep the injector from going too far up into the rail. This will solve your troubles...Good luck, Jason

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I looked on vortech's site, but cant find the clips. Can you find a part number or something for me?

thanks!

·
Registered
734 Posts
dude, you know this thread is over 3 years old? However I wold like some info as well, I have the spyder intake from coast high but never thought there would be a problem with the injectors. I dunno.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
oh wow, 3 years old?? Isnt that the point of the SEARCH button??

This is the only thread I could find anyone talking about using clips on the injectors, which i think is a perfect idea...I just cant find the clips! So if anyone can help out, please do!

thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts