Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, finally finished porting the heads and decided to do the swap this weekend.

Got almost everything off now, but, how in the hell, do you get the header nuts off?

I can easily get to some of them, but...??

Anyone ever installed any headers on a 4.6 in a stang?

I think you need to be plastic man so you can contort your appendages and get them in those tight places to undo those nuts....

(getting the feeling I should not have started this.... :roll: )

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Someone just suggested, and I had thought about it before, just to pull the heads with the headers attached.....???

I will at least give it a try first thing in the morning, if not, back to square one.....

·
Registered
224 Posts
You can do it that way with the stock manifolds..I'm not sure you can with aftermarket shorties cause you have to angle the heads up to get them out cause two head bolts on each side can't be pulled out with the heads on the motor....You def can't do it with long tubes...You may have to drop the pass side k member a bit to get the two header bolts that are a pain...

·
Registered
807 Posts
getting them off isnt hard.......takes about 30-40 minutes.....Give it a shot....
Dave

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've done to headswap twice.
I just unbolted the exhaust manifolds at the H-pipe/exhaust connection. Then you can lift the heads off the engine block with the exhaust manifold still bolted to the head. Same thing when reinstalling the head.
The passenger side has two bolts that are threaded into the exhaust header. Fairly easy to remove if you've got a couple extensions. The driver side is a bit more difficult because you've got bolts with nuts. Its difficult to get a wrench up and around the connection to hold the nuts while you back out the bolts. I cut a wrench in two pieces then used one end to hold the nut as I turned the two bolts.

Goodluck.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
stang96GTS said:
You can do it that way with the stock manifolds..I'm not sure you can with aftermarket shorties cause you have to angle the heads up to get them out cause two head bolts on each side can't be pulled out with the heads on the motor....You def can't do it with long tubes...You may have to drop the pass side k member a bit to get the two header bolts that are a pain...
Well, there were two bolts on the passenger side and three on the driver side that I could not get out, pulled out those hoses that came with my kit, and they were not slit?

I just grabbed some fuel line, cut a little piece off, slit them, use those as spacers to hold up said bolts.

Those heads could not have come out easier WITH the headers, even if they had been greased with butter...

came inside to wash hands before setting the cams then getting everything back on...

Will report back in a few hours... :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts