Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well after reading alot of threads onhere i decided to check mine and notcie anythign different wheni drivemy car .well i felt on the back ont he intake and the cables are there but there is slack on them ?is that supposed to be liek that or they supposed to be tight? last night when i am driving i notice at 3200 RPM"s or so it hesates .then it goes i figure the acuator box is pullin gon the cables but becasue of the slack they are not opening up all the way .i am having them cleaned next week but i need to know about the slack on the cables ????thanks

·
Registered
398 Posts
you can't push a rope. that's what one of my old dynamics teachers used to say. anyway, there is a cable housing, which is why if feels like there is slack in them. what you want to feel is the back of each imrc plate where the little lever arm is. if that's opening, then you're fine.
-tom

·
Registered
168 Posts
Yes, there's supposed to be some slack in the cables. Where are you getting them cleaned at?? If you have the SLIGHTEST mechanical ability wait till after this weekend, I'm putting together an IMRC Tech Day for about 4-5 96-98 Cobras and will do a thurough write up on how to clean them. It's fairly simple, just takes some patience and time. Hope this helps man.

Also, here's the thread when I cleaned mine:
http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=314903

Mike

·
Registered
439 Posts
That hesitation you describe tells me that the IMRC's are working fine. The hesitation at 3250 rpm is normal on an engine that is cold or not quite to operating temperature.

When one of my IMRC cables broke, it was the lack of "hesitation" at 3250 rpm that told me that the IMRC had indeed failed.

I had no hesitation at 3250 and no top end power.

Anthony

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ya the cable opens i can feel that .but should i ge tthem cleaned its got 45k miles and its not daily driven ???i dont have time to clean them so i have my mecanic to do it also putting in my new Fluidine raditor ??

·
Registered
787 Posts
'97CasperCobra said:
Yes, there's supposed to be some slack in the cables. Where are you getting them cleaned at?? If you have the SLIGHTEST mechanical ability wait till after this weekend, I'm putting together an IMRC Tech Day for about 4-5 96-98 Cobras and will do a thurough write up on how to clean them. It's fairly simple, just takes some patience and time. Hope this helps man.

Also, here's the thread when I cleaned mine:
http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=314903

Mike
Mike,

Just wanted to let you know that I am eagerly anticipating your write-up. Nothing like learning from someone else sharing their experience!

Jeff

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Bullittgts said:
Mike,

Just wanted to let you know that I am eagerly anticipating your write-up. Nothing like learning from someone else sharing their experience!

Jeff
Subscribing - cant wait to see the writeup as well..

peace

1 - 8 of 8 Posts