Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
16,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to do a junkyard aluminum Explorer shaft in my car,and just wanted to see what everybody's improvements were after swapping over from the steel one. List your ET,60',and HP gains (if dyno tested).

·
Registered
67 Posts
i never had any track times to back up the results, but it was a noticeable improvement for me. car felt like it revved quicker and go tinto the power band quicker. it also had a weird hum to it once you hit a certain rpm, i kind of liked it after a while

·
Registered
136 Posts
If I had to guess it would be .05
Yes..........the "factory" steel shaft is quicker by 0.05 than an FMS aluminum shaft.............

I broke my FMS aluminum and put my spare factory in it and it went faster!!

Aluminum tends to twist/absorb torque as I suffered big time in the 60 ft area.

Needless to say I now run a Mark Williams 3.5" Chromoly shaft...........

There are better things to spend money on..........

·
Registered
16,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I appreciate it,but I don't see mine twisting a d/s in the near future. As far as money spent,my total cost is only going to be $70.;)

·
Registered
16,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Well, for 70.00 I would buy 2, one for a spare:D
Well,I grabbed one from the u-pull-it yesterday,and dropped it off to be shortened today. Just some info for the masses here,the Explorer shaft is a 3 1/2", like the FRPP unit ,and I just have to swap the slip yoke. No special U-joints required either,it uses the same as the factory Mustang joints.:cool:

·
Registered
16,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
what year did you get it out of?
It was a '96 or '97 with the V6. All the Explorers that I've seen from the first model year up have aluminum shafts,except for the 2 door sport versions.

·
Registered
7,029 Posts
Any thing that is rotating the lighter it is the better.
This is where things can get expensive. Watch the ounces and the pounds will come.
Tim

·
Registered
16,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have one out of an Aerostar van right now.

want to have an extra ready just in case.
I was looking at the Aerostars as well,and they look like a broom stick next to the Explorer shaft. I've heard of plenty of people running them with no problems though.

·
Registered
16,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
on my 95 I used to have it felt like the car revved quicker, don't think it was actually any faster, just part of the whole package

·
Registered
16,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well,I grabbed one from the u-pull-it yesterday,and dropped it off to be shortened today. Just some info for the masses here,the FRPP shaft is a 3",where the Explorer one is 3 1/2",and I just have to swap the slip yoke. No special U-joints required either,it uses the same as the factory Mustang joints.:cool:
I need to correct myself here,the FRPP shaft is also 3 1/2".

·
Registered
16,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Finished product

Got it back today,just need to put the slip yoke on it. Here it is alongside a factory piece.....

·
Registered
7,029 Posts
That is not how I would shorten one. Hope it works for you.

Tim

·
Registered
16,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
1 - 20 of 39 Posts