Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey ...heres another dumb question by me..but i gotta learn somehow. I want to get a new intake..i want to stick with ford motorsport.i would really like the gt40, but thats a lil costly so the cobra might have to do..
If i buy one would i have to do anything to my stock motor to make it lie run or fit better or something besides gaskets and etc.
I was also going to get a throttle body, i don't know if ishould stick with 65mm or move on to 70mm..
If i went and got a 70mm what would i have to get maf or something..
I am really unexpeirencedd and stupid. so please help me with all the details

Thanx
Brian

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
88 gt. motor has 72k on it and it's bone stock...all it has is k&n air filter, and it has dynomax race bullet mufflers....i want my car to run constant 12's naturally aspirtated..

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i don't like ederbrock

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ididn;t say i needed a bigger throttle body now did i..i said i was going to get a new one and i wanted reccomendations if getting a bigger size would be better.

thanx for ur help @55

·
Registered
91 Posts
why is he stupid, just because he doesn't like ederbrock? not everyone has to like the same things. isn't that what makes us individuals in the first place? if every mustang out there had ederbrock intakes on them, it would make it a little boring. don't you think? the guy is just asking for help. calling him stupid does not help.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanx 93 cobra. i appreciate...but my questions were still not answered...how do i go about buying a new intake..i am really focused of the gt40. what else do i have to buy make the new intake run perfect? i really don;t have a clue what to do.

BRian

·
Registered
70 Posts
hehe... play nice guys!

Getting into 12s with stock stuff is very difficult. I am guessing you are a Ford purist by your comments - If so, I share your sentiments. You will do better to change gears and get sticky tires first as you will need them anyway to get into the 12s. As far as intake goes, you wont gain much from a swap until you do the heads as well. My suggestion would be to upgrade the heads and buy a used intake (such as the gt-40). If you look at the classifieds here, there are plenty of ford heads for sale. Another cheap (relatively) option that will get you to your goal is to visit a wrecking yard and find a good Explorer V8 to get intake and heads from.

Good luck!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Forgot to mention the explorer intake is essentially the same as a cobra intake.

Where are you located? I would strongly suggest finding a Mustang buddy to help with the install. You always forget something when doing a project like this and it is nice to have someone around with enough knowledge to tell you what you forgot.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
ok your title says you dumb and you need help...i just told you the abslutue best intake for a stock 5.0 and you say you dont like it..

after that you asked if you should get a 65mm or a 70mm TB..i recremended the stock 60mm..its more than enuff your what you are doing and any bigger you will be losing power down low and the rest of your motor istn big enuff to supports the air potential to make it useful therefor the stock TB is whats for you..i ran 11's on a stock TB

if your focused on the GT-40 then you allready made up your mind...stick it on with no other mods and it will be fine..you do not need a bigger TB untill you get some heads and a cam..the FMS stuff likes the Ederbrock Perfomer 5.0 heads..run that intake and those heads with a little cam and you car will make power the entire range..now depending on what cam you pick will decide on what size TB will be best fit

·
Registered
184 Posts
this is funny-But anyways.....Brian you are not stupied, you are just young. I will hand it to you for purchasing the best car for the job.

·
Registered
184 Posts
OFF TOPIC

FRANCIS HIGGINS-What year's Exployer can he take that off of? And what other mods do you need to do to get in on? thanx

So for the hijack-but we both need help!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
k... now..thank you all for helping me..it helped...i'm only 18 and i got a low budget and i'm in no rush to get into 12's..... for now i atleast want to run mid 13's by the end of fall..maybe better. me wanting the intake was just curiosity in what was needed to get one...so getting new heads first is better then getting an intake first?.
I have 3:73's in my room i am ggetting them put in very shortly.
my main question which i don;t think i explained right..was liek if i got an intake would it just bolt right on....or do i need other accesories for it because it's aftrmarket.?

sorry for all this trouble i really appreciate it
Brian

·
Registered
91 Posts
it will bolt in, with gaskets of course, but what they were saying is that unless you do heads too, it won't benefit you very much. the object is, theoretically, the more air you get in and out, the more horsepower. so just because you put on an aftermarket intake, doesn't mean that much more air. mainly because you have to address the heads as well. then getting the air out you need to address headers, cats, and mufflers. you won't see great improvements with just one thing. unless that one thing is one of these: supercharger/turbo/nitrous. that's why they are asking where do you want to go? know what you want, make a plan (with these guys help), then make it happen (with some friends help). hope this helps.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ah thats exactly what i'm looking for man..thanks soo much.. i got bbk headers coming soon, o/f h pipe sitting in my basement from my 89 notch i had, and i got te dynomax mufflers on already..so i got teh air going out part prety good..noit great but it's something and it's all free...so all i basically need is the heads, intake, and cam....

Hey by the way...i read somewhere i needa mass air flow kit to get a aftermarket cam......is that true?

THanx.
Brian

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
haha..i got 700 in my bank now...i work at a damn food market..and get like 200 a week.... then i got 200 insurace every month.... and i want to keep 500 in my bank incase of emergency..so i am very short of cash ..

1 - 20 of 38 Posts