Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any help here would be awesome guys and gals...

I was on my way to the track to test a few modifications out, and i thought i would practice my 2-3 gear shift and mid-way through 3rd gear under full throttle, the car shuts down.

I pull over to the side of the road, and the car will only idle. It wont rev up at all. Fuel pressure seemed decent, by the gauge, but when i hit the throttle, it would stall.

After sitting and idling for a bit, i could stab the throttle a couple times, and it would rev, but around the 4th or 5th time, it would stall again.

We tested the fuel pumps (Walbro GSS 340 intank, and the procharger pump that came with the kit) and they appear to be working(can hear both).

A mechanic friend thought the 02's were very shot, but i disagree because it happened under WOT(open loop). He also thinks it might be a timing problem. The car smells rich at times, but then you can hear it popping out the intake under light load (running it on the trailer with people pushing). Which tells me its lean.

We bypassed the MSD and tried it. At first it seemed better, but then it started doing it again. Im really stumped, and starting to get real frustrated. Any feedback at all would be awesome.

Thanks again,
Jon.

·
Registered
10,199 Posts
Sounds to me like mass air meter is loose, or some air connection.check the 90* elbow as it connects to sc(Bottom)also loose discharge tube..any of those w/give u the same symptoms...

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Change the coil, they do some weirds things when they are going bad. Took me a long time to find that problem and now its one of the1st thngs I check.

·
Registered
63 Posts
midnightrider said:
Sounds to me like mass air meter is loose, or some air connection.check the 90* elbow as it connects to sc(Bottom)also loose discharge tube..any of those w/give u the same symptoms...
I would have to agree with this idea as this happen to me last week..it was a leak in one of the silicone sleeve'son the discharge tube..same symptom's exactly.See the thread "Very Strange (Long) on page 2

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I checked my spark plugs, and they are very black. Dry black from running rich, not from oil.

We disconected the 02's and it still did it. We cleaned out the IAC motor. The car now idles at 1600 rpms. Disconecting the IAC motor makes no difference. We disconected the SPOUT connector and the idle dropped to around 1100.

Keep in mind that its a blow through meter, so i dont think its a MAF leak. Although it could be messed up, Even though its new.

I havent changed the coil yet... thats next on the list.

If its not fixed by the weekend, im gonna take it to my buddies shop and run it on a scan tool. I hope i dont have to wait that long, but such is life...

Thanks folks... keep the suggestions coming.

-Jon

1 - 8 of 8 Posts