Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy,
I just got back from my local Mustang club meeting (Upstate Mustang Club) and I talked to the guy that is going to be doing my engine work (I'm going to help as much as I can though) and he let me ride in his car that has the Holly Systemax II kit. He said he was getting 425 hp all engine from a 302 and after I rode in it, I was a believer! His car felt a lot faster than a 03 Cobra I rode in, so I firmly believe it is 425hp. Also, I heard some good news. He said he would pull my engine, take it apart, put in forged pistons, etc (basically rebuild it) and put in a new rotating assembly, assembl the complete engine, put it back in, and have it running for about $300-400. I was blown away that it was going to be that cheap. Well, my plans are to rebuild the engine, have it bored over to .030 to a 306, w/ the new rotating assembly and have hopefully 425hp. Then later on perhaps, I'll go w/ a Novi 1000 so I can be around 500hp (I don't want to be over 500 though so my block won't split like an egg!). :) Well, I hope everything goes well.:joy:

·
Registered
163 Posts
sounds like quite a deal, but I would look into a different set of heads and cam... something like a twisted wedge of afr 165 and good cam to match would blow his systemax II outta the water. Also, the intake is good, but can be a little large for mild N/A set-ups. .02

Dont get me wrong, the kit is good, but i think you would be happier with a higher flowing set of heads, then you could wipe his "425 hp" smile right off his face..

Adam

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well, his car runs 10s on a 150 shot, so I don't think I could do that, lol :D

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
and 6.80 in the 1/8 mile at like 105 mph I think :-D
Only side effect was the cam bucked, so he said I could go w/ an E303 cam or something like that perhaps

·
Registered
163 Posts
well, the ecam is quite outdated, a trick flow stage one would suit you much better, or a comp cams 266HR. THese have newer dual pattern designs and much more drivable and tunable.

Adam

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, I like Trick Flow n-e-way, so perhaps I'll go w/ the TF Stage 1 :D

·
Registered
519 Posts
Think about this

425HP? N/A a higher rating than holley claims with a stock shortblock? Those heads are 65cc and are not optimum for a N/A engine. Blower yes. My buddy ran his 2900lb coupe with 4.10's and all the usual suspension stuff to a best of 11.87 N/A and [email protected] on a 150 shot. If this guy can rebuild your shotblock for 300-400 dollars including the kit and pistons then go for it. I just get tired of hearing about the PAPER HORSEPOWER. I agree a set of AFR165 or 185's and an High rev Anderson or Ed curtis cam would be better N/A.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I want to add maybe a Novi1000 later
Or a larger blower if I can get a Dart short block (bling bling)

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Hey guys, I talk to Fast90LXStang alot. And I totally believe what he says. But has anyone else made this type of power with the SysteMAX II kit?? He said he doesnt know if he meant 425 fwhp or rwhp, but thats still alot of power. For the stock kit, I guess it depends on his "helper" mods and such. But I would love to see a dyno sheet with all the good stuff right there on it. Oh and if I lived there I would want to be in the Upstate club. Dang, I am working on a club of our own, oopppss sorry got off topic.LOL

Dave

·
Registered
519 Posts
Rated at 350 FW

But with a good solid short block, 9-5 to 10-5 pistons etc you could get a little more possibly, but not an extra 75-100. Not with the Box stock heads etc. Sorry dude, he's got paper horsepower.

Claimed 20 for the Headers, 18 for the MAF meter, 15 for pullies, the TORNADO another 10-20 whoo hoo etc etc!!

My buddies car ran real good for the price of the kit, but he shaved weight and had an aggressive suspension. Anti roll bar, moroso's, etc etc.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Re: Rated at 350 FW

RoysGray88 said:
But with a good solid short block, 9-5 to 10-5 pistons etc you could get a little more possibly, but not an extra 75-100. Not with the Box stock heads etc. Sorry dude, he's got paper horsepower.

Claimed 20 for the Headers, 18 for the MAF meter, 15 for pullies, the TORNADO another 10-20 whoo hoo etc etc!!

My buddies car ran real good for the price of the kit, but he shaved weight and had an aggressive suspension. Anti roll bar, moroso's, etc etc.
LOL, so me and you basically agree wtih each other. Great minds think alike.:eek:

Dave

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm saying what he said and I have no reason to doubt him. I'll ask what his shortblock is made of though, but as far as I know it is a 302/306. You can't deny something if you were't there. :p

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh, the paper horsepower is his dyno sheet ;)

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Also, I went to MustangWorks.com to do a little # crunching. I took his 1/8 and 1/4 times/speeds and put them in the "HP estimator" and it estimated that was around 512rwhp and 556 rwtq. Now, given that he uses a 150 dry shot (that he said he wasn't getting all what he could get out of it) let's subtract 100hp, and that gives him around 412 rwhp ('cause rarely do you see a 2v engine giving you the full hp that a nitrous kit is setup for). When I rode w/ him he didn't use the nitrous nor any othe power adder. He is also using a short belt (PS and AC, smog, etc. has been removed) Others in the Mustang club know how fast his car is, so it's not like he was just making up some numbers. I've seen a NA 315 put out 515 hp at the crank, so it's no surprise to me if his car is putting out 400+ hp

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Fast90LXStang said:
Also, I went to MustangWorks.com to do a little # crunching. I took his 1/8 and 1/4 times/speeds and put them in the "HP estimator" and it estimated that was around 512rwhp and 556 rwtq. Now, given that he uses a 150 dry shot (that he said he wasn't getting all what he could get out of it) let's subtract 100hp, and that gives him around 412 rwhp ('cause rarely do you see a 2v engine giving you the full hp that a nitrous kit is setup for). When I rode w/ him he didn't use the nitrous nor any othe power adder. He is also using a short belt (PS and AC, smog, etc. has been removed) Others in the Mustang club know how fast his car is, so it's not like he was just making up some numbers. I've seen a NA 315 put out 515 hp at the crank, so it's no surprise to me if his car is putting out 400+ hp
Hey, no one said you was making it up or that he was making it up. All im saying is, its not just the SysteMAX II kit on a stock block and thats all making that much hp. But it would be sweet to prove me wrong, becuase that is some nice hp for the mods he has, well actually we dont know all his mods.LOL

Dave

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
If you want a set up to blow his away, I can get you a custom set up, for $2,450(only $300 more). I can give you a fully ported set of TW heads, ported Edelbrock Perf. intake, custom cam, timing chain, and the pushrods. The heads will out flow the Holley heads by about 40 cfm, and still have runners great for street driving. Heads will have a comp. valve job, and a flow sheet off a SF-600 flowbench. Email me at [email protected] to set it up. Plus, I am about an hour from Greenville.

Thanks, Greg(XSR)

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
The holley systemax II setup stock is good for within 10 ponies of 300 rwhp.

The 425 HP figure you are quoting is fantasy, it *is* doable on a 302, but a stock Holley Systemax II kit is not the ingredients for that.

Good luck anyways, here's $100 that says you dyno within 10 ponies of 300 rwhp (not more than 310) if you install everything stock.

Slap an E-303 cam and expect to lose a few ponies ;) :evil:

That his car runs a 10.x on a 150 shot is great. Honestly if anything I bet that 'shot' is underrated, meaning it's really a 175 or 200. That's the easiest thing in the world to do, play with jet sizes and 'claim' whatever you want about it.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

My 12.0 @ 114 combo made 318 rwhp raw#'s on a hot day (90 degrees out). Just another TFS combo.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
anybody miss the fact that the guy said he would rebuild his shortblock for $300????

PLEASE!!! That is total crap and you are going to be taken for a ride.

There is absolutely no way that anyone can build a shortblock for $300 with quality parts.

Rings $50 (for average rings)
Bearing $50 (for average bearings)
bore and hone $150
deck $100
pistons $250 for some TRWs
gaskets $100
timing chain $65 (for typical performance double roller)
head bolts ($40 for ARP)

Wake the **** up.....

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No, $300 dollars is for LABOR!! I'd buy all of the parts (probably from Coast High Performance) and he would do all the labor for $300-400 if I help him.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts