Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to look at an '87 LX coupe V-8 auto 115K. They say it runs and drives but lostythe keys and therefore cannot start it- the car is cheap money. I want to take apart the steering column and pull the ignition to at least start it- any help how how to remove the column trim and removal of the ignition would be cool

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
I am going to look at an '87 LX coupe V-8 auto 115K. They say it runs and drives but lostythe keys and therefore cannot start it- the car is cheap money. I want to take apart the steering column and pull the ignition to at least start it- any help how how to remove the column trim and removal of the ignition would be cool
Probably the fastest way to do this is going to be to remove the ignition SWITCH (not the key-lock, but the actual electrical switch) and operate it by hand. If its the OEM switch, it's not going to be easy. The OEM fasteners are designed to be non-removable, meaning spending a lot of time with small vice-grips and a lot of swearing.

To get the keyswitch out of the steering column without a key, you're going to need to drill it out, which is messy and time-consuming, and you run the risk of damaging the steering column.

If you're not worried about damaging the steering column, find a local thug and find out how he steals cars...

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought it would be easier than that but I think I may have to take a chance. Pay for the car, have the title in my name and call AAA- I have locksmith service coverage up to $100- I am sure the locksmith can cut a key

1 - 3 of 3 Posts