Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be getting a c-4 soon, and I was wondering what things I need to know when buying one (24 or 26 spline, tailshaft length, stuff like that). I just want to know what I will need to buy besides the tranny itself. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Late 70s preferably from a V8 car. Large or small bellhousing, either will work but most prefer the small bell.

Tailshaft is of no concern as long as it is not from a 4x4 truck.

Stay far far away from late 60s 24spline stuff. That is what I am using and no one want's to really support it.

What are your goals with this trans?

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info- I'm just hoping to get a little better performance on the street, with the occasional trip to the track. My stock aod is killing me, especially the 2-3rd automatic shift at 2500 rpms. The car will be putting about 325-350 hp to the wheels, I hope. The biggest problem looks like finding a bellhousing, I can't seem to find any, but I haven't checked the junkyard yet. I would prefer something new, though.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
You can buy a brand new NON SFI small bellhousing from Jegs for 150 bucks. P/N 564-92480

What kind of money are you looking to spend. You can buy a street based transmission from Dynamic for around 800 bucks and you would not have any hassles that way.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
800 is ok, I was looking at the TCI trannys in Summit (around 750 I think). Any website for Dynamic? I have heard good things about them.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
I would choose the Dynamic over the TCI when you are looking at about the same money for a good street strip tranny.

www.dynamicracingtrans.com

I just wish I would not have done my current C4 on the cheap. As you can see by my MPH that my car should be much quicker then it is. Mushy shifts and a bad flare on the 2-3 shift are probably taking well over a half second from my ETs.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Also Holcomb Motorsports has some good prices on Dynamic and Performance Automatic transmissions. Might want to give them a call.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Sorry to butt in , but your saying I can get a C4 half way nicely built from Dynamic for $800.00? I know Id still have to buy the converter , but is anything else needed to swap from a AOD? Doesnt make any sence to build an AOD if I can really get this C4 for 800 + converter... :)

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Yeah 800.........Dynamic and Pa build other transmissions besides full on 1500 dollar transbraked C4s. They both have cheaper options.

A decent converter is going to be 400 plus bucks.

If you are going from an AOD and don't mind a large bell then all you need is a trans, a converter, a shifter, and mod the crossmember. You can reuse your AOD flexplate on large bell C4s.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
It is possible to mod the linkage and use the AOD shifter.

What you do is use the C4 conversion kit that you would purchase to use a B&M hammer shifter on a C4 application. These parts in the conversion kit can be adapted to the AOD linkage.
Unfortunately I cannot tell you exaclty how it is done though and it requires some minor welding. Maybe someone will chime in with more info on this.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts