Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if I set the rockers wrong on my TFS combo with an F-cam. How would I know if there not perfect? What we did is make sure that the rockers were in the down position and then tightened them up, did that for each set of 2 rockers. Would I be losing power if I did them wrong?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Loss of power? Let me tell you about loss of power...I've got a car in the garage right now with no compression at all because I didn't set my roller rockers right! I'll be tearing into it tomorrow. Obviously, setting them too tight will not allow the valves to close. DOH! Chalk that one up as one of my all-time stupid mistakes.:eek:

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How would I know though? The motor runs good and its pretty strong. Though I have no bottom end really, i was told thats because I have the F-cam.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Isn't the F-cam designed specifically to deliver power at a higher RPM? I can't remember the power range right off hand, but one can't expect a cam that is designed to deliver power above 2500 RPM to have a lot of low end. In fact, regardless of your combo, general street driving it will be a total slug unless you routinely keep the RPM up by using your lower gears.

Right about now, I think I should be the last person to be giving advice, but what you are describing sounds pretty much like what should be expected.

·
Registered
16 Posts
How did you set your rockers?

First off what type of rockers do you have. I am assuming that you have some type of roller rockers. You can lose power with to much lifter prelode. The ideal preload is around .030. To get this you need to go to top dead center on each cylinder. Start tighting the rocker down while spinning the push rod with your other hand until you feel a slight tension. You are now at zero lash. Now to get the .030 preload tightin the rocker another 1/2 turn and lock it down. Do the same for the intake and exhaust and move onto the next cylinder. Hope this helps you out.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok what we did is spin the motor until two rockers next to each other were in the down position, All the way down and even. Then we tightened them down. Is that how you do it?

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
If they're stud mount rockers this is how:
You are correct on making sure the the lifters/rockers are completely down first.
Once the rocker is completely down wiggle the pushrod up and down gently while you tighten the nut until there is no slack, BUT DON"T bottom out the pushrod seat in the lifter itself, you just want to remove the initial slack in the pushrod. Once the initial slack is taken up then go 1/2-3/4 turn...you shouldn't feel much resistance if any (that's why the lock nuts are provided, because the nuts on the rockers don't ever get "tight").

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
fastfed1 said:
Ok what we did is spin the motor until two rockers next to each other were in the down position, All the way down and even. Then we tightened them down. Is that how you do it?
I'm not sure what you mean when you say "down", but you want both valves to be closed so the springs will be all the way up.

·
Registered
284 Posts
It's pretty easy...

At zero lash, if you need much more than 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn to get them snugged down, then you will probably need to shim them to avoid having too much lifter preload. I'm assuming you have the bolt-on pedestal type, non-adjustables.

Randy

1 - 11 of 11 Posts