Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just posting this for a friend. What is everyones experience on buying used blower. It seems often times we hear about the bad deals, but not the good ones. I was going to do a poll, but I guess the corral doesn't have that any more?

Anyway, pick one of the three choices below

1. Great! I got everything as said. Every nut and bolt were included. The blower upon installion worked great, etc!

2. Alright. All large items were there, but a couple small fitting/bolts were missing. Overall, I saved some money, so its alright.

3. Horrible. Large items such as bracketry were missing. Items looked like crap. Head unit quickly needed a rebuild, etc.

As for me, I would go with 1. I could not be happier. Everything down to the last bolt was included, I saved some a decent amount, etc.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I bought a head-unit only with a couple of extra pieces and they were just as described. My overall experience buying a used blower was excellent.

·
Registered
863 Posts
2. Alright. All large items were there, but a couple small fitting/bolts were missing. Overall, I saved some money, so its alright.

and very happy with the purchase. Man I love the boost, nothing like getting blown :D

·
Registered
337 Posts
that was a big reason I went new. I was worried about getting screwed. Used ones were selling around 2k and I spent 3K on a new one. It would have been nice to pocket the extra grand, but I was uneasy about buying an expensive used supercharger.

like you said, it's all the horror stories we hear and not the good experiences that scare you.

BTW, it is nice having a 3yr warranty. Is it worth the extra 1k? I guess we'll find out.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I started out with a #2, but the seller made good on the some small bolts/breacketry that were missing by paying me through paypal for the cost of the missing parts. So #1 in the end.

Jim

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
You just have to be very careful when buying a used blower... because they're selling it for one of 2 reasons (for the most part)

1 - because they're changing the combo, upgrading, etc.

2 - the blower is screwed up, and they're trying to pass off their problem to you

Its hard to determine which situation you're getting yourself into.

And I think you have to expect not to get every single nut and bolt. Most blower kits are missing the fuel pumps and extra parts too. But, if you keep your eyes open, you can find the little extra's on the net without a problem.

·
Registered
746 Posts
#2 for me. Missing a few bolts and spacers, and an overflow bracket. Paid 1150 for it back when they still cost 2800 new for my car. Worked great with the 6lb pulley, swaped to the 9lb pulley and it started to break.

·
Registered
262 Posts
#2 For me P600 I brought for 1k. He was asking $1500 but after spinging it around couple of times the problem was a rebuild was in need of. It was missing alot of clamps and some fittings but for a grand it was worth it. If anybody sells a blower for less than $1500 it to me is a deal. If I had the chance to buy another I wont think twice about it.

·
Registered
155 Posts
#2 for me as well. Bought a Vortech J-trim that was rebuilt in 2000 and only had some dyno time since then. It came with cog belt drive system with extra blower pulley, Cartech aftermarket bracket,pipe with mondo blow off valve,oil return and feed lines,and most of the nuts and bolts. Was missing the strut tower brace plate and the adjustable brace rod which more than likely I'll buy seperately from Cartech. Gave 2k for it,which seems like a good deal considering its a Mondo unit with aftermarket accessories.

Rob

·
Registered
819 Posts
#1 for me, but it was from a friend that was parting out his car and sellimg it. Bought the S-trim with everything included, 30lb. injectors, and a matching 70mm MAF for $2100.

·
Registered
457 Posts
1 for me , Bought a brand new sq v-2 head unit. paid $1k. I think they were like $1700 new then?? C.O.D. delivered!!!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Well,Way Back in the day I bought a used A-Trim for $350
& N20 kit!!It was great for 2 + yrs.leaked some oil,but
worked well!!I was kinda worried at 1st? It had a 10rib
setup on a A-trim,but no problems!! I would buy one used agein.

·
Registered
147 Posts
#1 for me. KB1500. Its been running strong for about 4 1/2 years now. I've put over 70,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I bought a Kenne Bell used off of the classifieds. I knew that it would need a rebuild, but when I sent it out I was told the compressor was junk. I only paid $400 for the kit. The place I got it rebuilt at said it was not that bad of a deal since I got the brackets and the manifolds with it. I ended up spending about $2000 on it. I upgraded to the 2.2 compressor and saved money. I had to go out and buy all the hardware for it, so I will put a number 2 on the choices.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts