Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had idle problems in the past, and cured it with, cleaning the Idler thing on the TB, Cleaning the 10 pin connectors, and setting the computer for a nice idle..

Now after installing my supercharger, I had a nasty surge, which clocking the MAF fixed it.. After about a week of perfect idling, at about 900rpm it went to 1500, now it just stayes there, sometimes it will idle down for a second but then right back up.. If I put my A/C on it will then Idle at a normal 900...

I brought the car to operating Temp. And reset the computer to do the idle, Started the car and took the plug of the idler to set the throttle, Well when I took the plug off the idler she was idleing at a normal Idle ( 900 ) So I could not lower it anymore, I plug it back in and BAMN back up to 1500..

Whats the deal here?

·
Banned
1,064 Posts
bad IAC? replace it....

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
replace IAB or clean with brake cleaner, if your IAB has two srews holding it together take apart and clean and clean the EGR, that get's moister and carbon build up inside you might need a steel wool for this and don't forget to wipe out your throttle body and wipe the baffle plate around sides where it meet the walls

·
Registered
831 Posts
fastfed,
The Idle Air Control motor is just a computer controlled vacuum leak. When you disconnect the plug on it your idle should drop to 4-500 rpm, (on a warm engine). When it unplugged the only air the engine gets should be by the throttle plates.
So, you are getting unwanted air from somewhere.
1)- check to make sure the throttle plate is closing properly-sticking throttle cable or gummed-up throttle body, or the idle set screw is set too far in.

2)Try blocking off the IAC with a nice thick piece of paper or plastic between the IAC and the throttle-body. If the idle is unchanged, the IAC is probably OK. If the idle is very low then your IAC is bad.

3)If you still have a problem, start to look for vacuum leaks, ( the extra air is getting in somewhere). There are lots of threads in here that can give directions on how to find leaks.

Hope this helps, Good Luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts