Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I have been having this problem with the idle being very erratic, it'll surge, and I have found out that the A/C was the culprit. Every time I would turn on the A/C, the car would surge very badly at idle, sometime's going down to 0 rpms, then returning to 1000 and back to 200 rpms, then back to 1100. I just found out from the Shop that the A/C system is gone because the compressor is locking up and in fact when the a/c is on, the compressor is completely frozen. Before I knew about the A/C because it was idling like this for about 6 weeks, and within those 6 weeks, I was replacing part, after part, after part, on my car because I had no idea what was going on. Those parts included, the IACV, PCV, MAF, DPFE, EGR. It wasn't throwing any CEL and so I was dumbfounded. I had the shop shut off and unplug the A/C and I got the car back because I was not going to pay $1500 for A/C when I have a convertible. By the way, I have a 2001 Ford Mustang GT convertible. Ever since he turned off the A/C, its been working fine, only a small problem. the Idle is still erratic, not entirely, but it surges randomly, and stays around 400-600 rpms, then surge to 1100 rpms. I noticed that at idle, there is a squeal or sucking noise coming from the TB, and it gets louder as the car drives. This sound was very apparent when the A/C was on and the idle was surging badly. I have run out of ideas and it bucks a lot when you come to a stop, and going from a stop. What could be causing this? I did reset my computer by unplugging my battery for 20 minutes, but I don't know what else to do because it keeps on doing it. Does my car need a tune? I did get my spark plugs replaced not too long ago, but does my computer need a flash tune?

Feedback/thoughts/ideas would be nice thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,055 Posts
Stanglegend01:

With the compressor unplugged and the belt removed, does it turn freely? If it has seized then the pulley can't turn and it is dragging the belt. This would put a lot more load on the engine at idle and contribute to a bad idle.

Do you have access to a datalogger (handheld tuner + laptop)? Data is a necessity since you can spend a fortune on new parts and still not get the problem solved.

Anyway, the stuck compressor is about all I can think of at the moment.

Are you near St. Louis, may I ask?

HTH,

Chris

1 - 3 of 3 Posts