Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is what I have,stock 302 ho motor, trick flow track heat intake, 70mm tb 75mm bullet mass air, 30lb injectors, trickflow heads, mild cam.

Here is the problem I am having, I got the engine all re-assembled, started it up. The engine was running shakey and seems to backfire slightly through the intake. The idle surges from 850 rpm to about 1500 rpm when letting idle, and when you stab the gas it hesitates and only revs to about 3000 rpm
I have an msd 6al box and multi-step retard box, I by-passed the msd box and went staight back to the stock ignition. the suging seemed to go away, but the backfiring through the intake is still there and the engine doesnt want to rev, still has the same hesitation. I have an over kill fuel system, 1100 hp Areomotive fuel pump, running double 6 AN lines up to an Areomotive regulator and then to vortech fuel rails. I have the fuel pressure set at about 24 psi and the engine seems like its running fat. I checked the plugs and they are all black with carbon. I have the timing set at 16 degrees. I have checked the firing order. I checked for vacume leaks, I am stumped. I am not real sure what causes a back fire in the intake manifold. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Mike

·
Registered
137 Posts
I recently put my motor back together and had trouble with it running right. It turned out the rocker arms were adjusted to tight. The valve were staying open. When I removed my upper intake plenum the runners were soaked with gas due to the valves staying open. Do a compression check on the motor. You will be surprised what you may find. I found 3 of the cylinders had no compression. Readjusted the rockers and all is good now.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts