Ford Mustang Forums banner

121 - 129 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
It seems fine from a voltage perspective at 14.3 through the Pro-M system and through my test meter.
I wasn't sure if there is anything else I need to check as those are the only two that I am familiar with.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I did not touch the car this weekend as I needed a break.

Tonight I used the remote starter switch to crank the car over without fuel to set the base timing at 10 degrees.
Spark tester looked fine on the #1 cylinder.

I figured I would try to start it with the new battery and timing adjustment and it fired right up, idled, and sounded like a mustang again!

I am not sure if my third timing attempt was the difference (I really don't think so) or if the new battery was. If the battery swap was the difference maker, is it possible that the alternator is over charging and damaging cells? Once I gain some confidence with the alternator, I will get back to the original topic about my light throttle idle hunting.
If the battery was overcharging, the cel would be on.

It's possible you had a bad battery. Maybe something shorted internally. Or a bad battery connection that was repaired when you changed the battery. Take it for a ride.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
I have about 10 miles on the car at this point and things are getting pretty smooth as the computer makes adjustments to the different scenarios. The trans has been shifting smooth to the point I have not even really thought about it. I did have some high idle issues when in gear, but that has been coming down the more I drive it. 10 miles is really nothing at this point.

Unrelated to Pro-M, I did hear a tapping sound getting louder from the engine bay and found a polylock starting to blackout. I tightened all rockers again and made sure they were tight, so hopefully that is solved. I will check again in a few miles.

And the most recent development is a leaking water pump! hahaha, but it is not bad yet so I will drive the car until it gets bad.

Thanks for all of the help in this thread! I bought some new tools and learned some things.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
I think the no start was remedied by a combination of new battery, re-stabbing the distributor, and re-seating all of the plug wires. The last two make sense, but the timing being too advanced makes the most sense.

And yes, I did get an updated calibration and it most likely cured my light idle issues.

121 - 129 of 129 Posts