Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
27,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The R II's only come in 275/40-17, and I'm wondering if I can get away with using them on my 17X8 wheels, given that Nitto's tend to run a little narrow. Anyone running this way?

·
Registered
666 Posts
Guys say the 275-wide Nitto 555 DR's work on the 8-inch wheel, but the RII would definately not like it. They might fit on the wheel, but the grip compromise would be substantial.

·
Super Moderator
27,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ran 245/50-16 Nitto DR's on my 16x7's with absolutely no problem, and since they run a little narrow, I wouldn't be surprised if people successfully ran 275/40 DR's on 17x8's, but I'm suspicious of running 275 RII's on them. I would love to, though.

·
Registered
366 Posts
GriggsP51 said:
I have 265/35/18 on 9" rims and they fit perfect. I think 275 on an 8" rim would not work well at all.
The side wall height makes a big difference. The bigger rim/shorter sidewall combinations have a lot less distance to make up the difference in width, so they are less tolerant of mismatched sizes. You can get away with a little more on a 17" than an 18" rim.

I have a friend in New York who tried the RII 17x8 combo. He said it worked good, but I haven't been able to look at in person because I'm down in Florida.

·
Registered
479 Posts
MFE:
I have run 275/40/17 DOT race tires on 8" wide wheels before.
It is not a perfect fit by any means, but it works. It allows for a good bit of sidewall roll over, and the car might feel a little more squirmy then if they were mounted on a 9+" wheel.
The RII's tends to run a little wide too, so this might make the situation a little worse. If you can get a set dirt cheap, then do it; if not spend a little more and either get a set or 17x9's (which are still a little thin for 275's), or get some 245-255 rubber for the 8" wide wheels. If you are interested in a set of Toyo RA1's, shoot me an email and I'll see what kind of pricing I can get for you.

Tom. :)

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Fraser

Not sure about the RIIs, but the NT555Rs are sized a bit on the small side.. so a 275/40 nitto is more like a std 255 tire.. I have seen 275/40s on 17x8 wheels and they were fine.

Matter of fact I have a set of 95GT tribars in the garage now (17x8) and a pair of NT555R 275/40/17s just sitting waiting for me to get time to bring them somewhere.

Adam

·
Registered
169 Posts
Just a little Info If you plan to autocross them which I bet you do they are Not SCCA Stock SP or SM Legal because they dont come in 5 sizes

·
Super Moderator
27,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hmm...hadn't thought of that, thanks for the reminder.

·
Registered
666 Posts
RenoESPChamp said:
Just a little Info If you plan to autocross them which I bet you do they are Not SCCA Stock SP or SM Legal because they dont come in 5 sizes
What??? Not legal in SM even? Grrrr...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts