Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 95 Mustang GT has stopped ticking over, starts and dies. I found there is no volts in the two wires
going to the IACV.
Q/ How to solve the problem?
Q/ Is there a fuse for that valve?

Thanks.

·
Registered
191 Posts
If you feather the throttle open will the car continue to run?

No fuse. It goes directly to the ecm.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23,250 Posts
unplug the iac

using a test light to battery neg, put the key in run, and probe both wires on the connector

one of the wires should light the test light

does one light?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
unplug the iac

using a test light to battery neg, put the key in run, and probe both wires on the connector

one of the wires should light the test light

does one light?
Well, I tried both wires with a pin through it and multimeter, no volts.
I tried the two female points in the connector first both dead, then I tried the safe pin stuck in the wire.

·
Registered
23,250 Posts
uplug an injector

key in run, test both wires on connector, power there?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, actually I think I used the multimeter wrong, It's a 12 volt that comes from the ECU? I had the meter set at 2 volts, cause I had just checked the TPS. Should I have it higher for the AICV?
Stick with me guys I'm just a novice.

·
Registered
23,250 Posts
there was a reason i mentioned to use a test light.

there is NO 12 volts coming from the ecu

start over?

Reactions: HYBRED

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
Use a Test light.

Keep it simple, you’re just a novice.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Use a Test light.

Keep it simple, you’re just a novice.
OK! there is power going to the IACV and the TPS, both are new parts. Now the car will keep going if I feather the pedal. but dies if I don't, AND, black smoke coming out the exhaust smells like petrol. I disconnected the MAF SENSOR same symptoms. Won't tick over without feathering the pedal.

·
Registered
145 Posts
OK! there is power going to the IACV and the TPS, both are new parts. Now the car will keep going if I feather the pedal. but dies if I don't, AND, black smoke coming out the exhaust smells like petrol. I disconnected the MAF SENSOR same symptoms. Won't tick over without feathering the pedal.
Smoke and fuel smell mean its running rich, so too much fuel or not enough air.
Moving forward, I'd try these things, in this order:
-Unplug IACV and try to start
-Test or replace Engine coolant temp sensor (should be 2 wire sensor in thermostat housing)
-Source a Fuel pressure test kit, follow instructions

·
Registered
23,250 Posts
Maybe offer some information with what we are dealing with?

Is this a totally stock engine?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Smoke and fuel smell mean its running rich, so too much fuel or not enough air.
Moving forward, I'd try these things, in this order:
-Unplug IACV and try to start
-Test or replace Engine coolant temp sensor (should be 2 wire sensor in thermostat housing)
-Source a Fuel pressure test kit, follow instructions
There is a fuel gauge permantly on the engine, 44psi (walbro 255 fuel pump) I will try to get the sensor on ebay.
Is the thermostat housing connected to the plastic coolant tank at the side of the radiator?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
There is a fuel gauge permantly on the engine, 44psi (walbro 255 fuel pump) I will try to get the sensor on ebay.
Is the thermostat housing connected to the plastic coolant tank at the side of the radiator?
I did unplug the IACV and the car idles fine, but lots of smoke coming out exhaust. I had the injectors changed recently 24lb excel. The car had the idling problem before I had the injectors changed. I noticed minor oil in the spark plug threads which I suspected was the O rings. ( I need to check that)

1 - 20 of 109 Posts