Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed my pro 5.0 shifter with my new clutch. I have just passed the break in period for the clutch, I tried banging some gears, and couldn't get it in third gear over 3000 rpms. That was yesterday.
Tonight, I shifted into third at a low speed, and then wound it up, when i took it out of third, every gear was messed up.
The only thing I am unsure about on the install, was the little plastic knob on the bottom of the stock shifter. The directions didn't say to, but i yanked it off and put it on the Pro 5.0.
Regardless of what happened. I'm putting the stock shifter in tommorow, if that doesn't fix it, I will drop it off for warrenty work.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
The only thing I am unsure about on the install, was the little plastic knob on the bottom of the stock shifter. The directions didn't say to, but i yanked it off and put it on the Pro 5.0.

:confused: I am not really sure why you did this... The Pro-5.0 has its own ball underneath the shifter that goes into the gearbox...

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
On the TR-3650, you DO need that little plastic bushing on the end of bottom. I'm pretty sure you did the right thing by transferring it to your Pro 5.0 shifter.

http://www.fnsweet.com/garage/shifter/index.shtml#5

In any event, you might want to re-check the shifter itself; is it possible they gave you the wrong shifter? :confused:

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
check your stops man. maybe the are too far out preventing it from going into gear.

u did the right thing by moving the plastic cap.

i got no problems with mine except that it rattles at hi rpm in 4th gear

·
Registered
379 Posts
I love my Pro 5.0 in my 97. Above 5000rpms it seems to just pop into the next gear, its great - the higher RPM you shift, the easier.
Another thing I like (about my car specificaly) is that I don't have a lower boot...so I can hear my transmission whine up at the higher rpms...everytime someone rides with me its "dude, does this thing have a supercharger???" I also like the metal-to-metal clanking sounds it makes when switching gears

Again, I agree with 99svt32v - its does have the jitters, but for me its when I'm going slow in a high gear (50-60MPH in 5th).

Is anyone using the Tri-ax handle with the pro 5.0? It looks like the handle only will put the knob at a pretty comfortable postition for me - I'm short with short legs and short arms so sometimes I have to lean forward to go to 5th...

·
Registered
99 Posts
Skadork said:
Is anyone using the Tri-ax handle with the pro 5.0? It looks like the handle only will put the knob at a pretty comfortable postition for me - I'm short with short legs and short arms so sometimes I have to lean forward to go to 5th...
I am using the tri-ax handle with the pro5.0 shifter and I love it. It makes for a perfect feel and posistion.

N

·
0 Posts
I'm running the Triax handle with the Pro-5.0 shifter handle as well. I thought it was a big improvement and much more comfortable for me. I'm 5'8" tall.

Dave

·
Registered
379 Posts
NotchDave: yeah, you know what its like :) I'm 5'7" :( hehe..the handle is like what, 30$? THat's not bad, I don't think - I'll prolly get one sometime

·
Registered
642 Posts
If you guys want a better shifter handle for the pro 5.0, don't get a triax handle.

Get the handle from www.mgwltd.com Their handle is the best on the market, and fully adjustable. Mark my words, get this handle.

It's on their mustang parts page.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
After the clutch install, did you check the tranny fluid level? After I had a clutch installed on an 86 GT, the dope who did it buggered up the 'O'Ring in the speedo cable where it goes into tranny. This leaked fluid and ruined my gearbox. Double check your fluid level BEFORe taking it in for warrenty work.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
99svt32v said:
check your stops man. maybe the are too far out preventing it from going into gear.

u did the right thing by moving the plastic cap.

i got no problems with mine except that it rattles at hi rpm in 4th gear
What he said .
The shifter did not blow up your tranny.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts