Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
today i was messing with my spout connsecter and decied i would pull it out and give it a try. well i almost think it is running better with out it, what is the timming set at with and with out it. has anyone eles ever tried this before.

·
Registered
155 Posts
What's a spout connsector?

·
Registered
43 Posts
It's that thingie just behind the framistat.:D

·
Registered
674 Posts
Ooops, sorry. See my reply below

·
Registered
442 Posts
ON a '96 - '97 Cobra it's an octane plug, not a SPOUT connector. When you pull the octane plug it retards timing a few degrees. It's intended to be an easy way to compensate (to a point) for crappy fuel. The '98 and up Cobras don't have that octane plug at all.

If it works better without it then run without it. It doesn't lock you at base timing like the old EEC4 systems did when their SPOUT connector was removed.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Here's a silly question...where is the spout connector located? :eek:

VAiN

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sorry about all the spelling but i was in a hurry, BUT THANKS FOR LETTING ME KNOW I CANT SPELL, LIKE I DIDNT KNOW. well any way i mean that it feels like my car has more power lowend when i punch it. it might drop a little, up in the higher rpms. i think i will just leave it in seeing how when im shifting gears i would not benfit from a lower rpm HP gain. i think in the spring i will run the car a few times with out it to see what happens, but i was just wondering if anyone eles had ever tried to run there car with out it. oh yea and i thought it was called a octane rod too, but the idiot at the parts counter told me that was the wrong name its really a SPOUT CONNECTOR,

Here's a silly question...where is the spout connector located?
its located near your air filter box, its just a tiny gray plug if you look im sure you can find it.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Why do you say that it's an octane plug? Where did you get that from ?
Is it documented somewhere?

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
no i just heard a buddy if mine, hes a tech at a local shop when i was talken to him about it he called it a octane rod so thats where i got the name, if its wrong no biggie just wanted some imput on the subject

·
Registered
674 Posts
Sorry about the bad information. The SPOUT function does work as I said, but apparently there is no plug for it. Makes sense because the timing isn't adjustable from the factory, so why put in a SPOUT connector.

The 1996 Ford Service Manual mentions a SPOUT function, but no connector for the Mustangs. It also does not mention an Octane Adjust Function.

The Chilton's Manual electrical diagram also does not show a SPOUT connector.

HOWEVER!! it DOES show an "Octane Adjust Plug" in the diagram for the DOHC motor. They show the wiring color code as Dark Green on one side, and Gray with Red tracer on the other side. Hope this helps confirm things for you. Sorry again about the bad info I gave previously. Be nice if Ford gave us an Owners manual that described this "octane plug".

·
Registered
941 Posts
Ok thanks!!!!!! Now you guys have made me go on a mission to find out what that thing is now.

It's exactly like my spout connector on my 91, and my 95.

I have it on my 97 Cobra right next to the MAF plug, I'll throw on the timing light later to see what happens when I pull it out.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i would be intrested to see what the timing is with the plug in vs out. let us know please, thanks in advance.

eric

1 - 12 of 12 Posts