Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car a couple days ago had a voltage drop from about 14v to somwhere around 11. I didn't think anything about it because next time i turned my car on it was back up again. Tonight the voltage dropped and kept dropping. When i got home the guage was at the very lowest point on the meter. I let it run for a few minutes and the car started to stall and then I cut it off. What could be the problem? Do i need a new alternator. I just got a new battery a couple months ago.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Get a DC volt meter, start the engine , check voltage at battery terminals for 14 volts or better. If not replace the alternator.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well when i checked this morning the voltage was good. I took it for a drive around the neighborhood and about half way around the voltage dropped significantly. Also, while in the driveway, I would rev and the voltage on the gauge would jump quite noticably. Do you think i have a short somewhere? If i had a short, wouldn't a fuse bust? Need to get this fixed.

·
Registered
374 Posts
There may be a few things here...

Probably not a short or blown fuse because you are still getting charge from the alternator

COULD be your voltage regulator, but more likley it is your alternator not putting out enough voltage, when you rev it the voltage gauge jumps back up because the alternator is spinning faster and can finally keep up with the cars electrical requirements.

You can get it bench checked at autozone or any of those stores, but if it isn't putting out 130 amps at ~14.5V you need a replacement.

my $.02 DON'T get one from auto zone, they are crap and i have gone through 3 of them, get a quality motorsport one, it'll save you so much headache in the long run... I got my rebuilt motorsport alt online and i couldn't be happier, if you want i can send you the guys contact info...
dave

1 - 4 of 4 Posts