Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm putting on 2 Prochargers, one on an '00 GT & another on an '02.I ordered 2 90mm Lmaf's from Dallas Mustangs but when the blowers arrived, the hoses are 2 small for the lmaf's, now I'm told the kits are designed for the '99 lmaf only & the maf's I bought are '01's! I can't call ATI till Monday & I'm afraid the calibration is different between the '99 & '01 model years does anyone know? If they are I'm probably going to be stuck holding the bag on 2 new Lmaf's I can't use & I'm pretty sure there is no returns on electrical parts w/h DMP! I hate it when stuff like this creeps up unexpected! Any info on this situation would GREATLY be appreciated.Scott

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I don't think the calibration is any differant, but I think the older one is only 80 MM. Did you have the ProCharger chip burned for the LAMF's? If so, I would just go to Home Depot and get the hose reducer that will allow you to use the 90 and give it a shot. I don't think it will be an issue.
If you did not have the chip burned specifically for LMAF's you are in trouble. :( Contrarry to most's belief, the LMAF is not cale'd for 42# injectors. In a lightning the ECU dictates most of the MAF conversion and the MAF's are cale'd way differant.
I tried using a LAMF with my P1SC set up and had nothing but problems.:rolleyes:
I gave up and got the blow through Univer and it worked pretty good. I know it's too late for you now, but it may be helpfull for you in the future.
Good luck, man and if there is anything else I can help with please ask. I did my own install (and tear down :rolleyes: ) on my P1SC so I know what your going through.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have not had any problems using the 80mm LMAF on 99 up cars. I have had one customer who tried both and found the 90mm LMAF pegged out before the 80mm did, so he used the 80mm. He is now uprgrading engine components for over 500hp at the wheels and I agree the Univer is the way to go in that application. I have had alot of quality issues with them though, I have had to send them back several times to finally get one to work. I am talking dead electronics, not just poor idle quality. When they work they do very well though. The 02 should use the stock meter with the ATI chip and it should work well, it has for me at 10psi. The ATI chips tend to be very safe and there is always more power to be found in a custom tune. You can try to find a reducer to get the 00 running, but the best thing it to try and return the meters and get a 99 LMAF for it. The 02 kit should have the correct tubing and adapter for the 90mm stock MAF and it should work well at 10psi. Go ahead and do the 02 kit since you should have the parts. If you get both done by Monday you are doing a hell of a job, faster than I am anyway.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Yeah Kieth your right on with the quality control at Pro-M. :(
They have gone down hill big time since the advent of the infamous Pro-M 77. I heard that the guy that used to run the place passed away, and since then it has just been a sinking ship. It's a shame for us, because we have to deal with it no matter what. No one else makes a good MAF aftermarket. The CnL's are just not appealing to me. The MAF function is to important on a charged car to just swap out a little tube and vuala your cale'd. :rolleyes:
I have heard a lot of peopl that had cal issues with the Univers at first, but after sending them back ahd it taken care of. That should just not happen.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks,for the good info guys! Here's how I had the chips calibrated: on the calibrations sheet I checked where it said I was going to use a '99 Lmaf(did this on both cars).

Keith: are you saying that I can still use the stock maf on the'02 even though I had the chip sheet marked that I was going to use a '99 lightning maf? I hope so!
Also how long does it take you to put on of these kits on? A local guy claims he did his first supercharger in about 7 hours,I'm not the greatest mechanic in the world I KNOW but I would think it would take him longer than that on his first one,after he has did several yeah, but not the only one he has done. Are ALL lightning mafs calibrated for 42's? THAT'S ny real concern;that I can't use these even if I have a reducer(no local Home Depot's around here:( & the Lowe's store has nothing I can use.

Lotsaspray:Thanks for the help guy! I appreciate your input on this!

·
Registered
167 Posts
The LMAF are not really calibrated for anything, they just work well a moderate boost levels. The chip changes the MAF tables in the computer to compensate for the injectors. I don't know if the 02 meter will work or not with the chip, but I do not think it will hurt to try it. If you have really poor driveability it will most likely be due to the chip. Most likely you can get the cars running and they will do fine as long as you just cruise around till you get the correct MAF. Without the chip and the 42s the car will be so rich it will flood out, but with the chip and stock MAF I think you may be close enough to drive around safely.

Changing fuel pump and chip with the blower install takes me around 10hrs and I have done a bunch of them. I get alot of interuptions though. Two people could do it in 6-7hrs I think.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks again,Keith! If you don't mind I may give you a yell from time to time,it's good to have someone as a "go to guy" when trying to tune or have problems like this one.Scott

1 - 7 of 7 Posts