Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh crap...I screwed up

While under the car today I found an oil pan bolt finger-tight. I decided to tighten them all. The Haynes manual lists the torque for these bolts at 30 ft/lbs....well I snapped one right off :eek:

How do you fix something like this?

Rich
13.71 @ 101.59
My 1993 GT Page

·
Registered
33 Posts
Assuming you didn't bottom the bolt out, now that the head is off the bolt is unloaded so you should be able to get it out using a hammer and punch to drive it in circles until you can get pliers on it. If this isn't possible take the oil pan down so you can get at it with vise grips. If the bolt bottomed out and you never heard of X-Tract Alloy you will just have to cut it flush, punch the center, and drill and tap the hole. Good luck.

Have another look at the manual and you will probably see that it says 30 in-lbs not ft-lbs. I learned to check the specs twice after getting N-m confused with ft-lbs on a connecting rod cap...

·
Super Moderator
4,771 Posts
ARP

Once you get it out don't use anything other than ARP bolts or oil pan stud kit. It's a great idea to go ahead and replace the valve cover bolts, too. Those stock bolts snap like twigs. The ARP valve cover stud kit is part # 200-7604 for $21.95 at Summit and the oil pan stud kit is 254-1901 for $37.95.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts