Ford Mustang Forums banner
121 - 134 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
1987 Ford Mustang Gt
59 Posts
Right after you lay down the rtv, you can set the lower down. Make sure to use 4 alignment studs to ensure the lower goes down exactly right. I waited about 20 minutes before starting the torque sequence (followed Haynes manual).
Just finished installing the lower intake based on all the feedback in this post. Fingers crossed no more leaks, next steps will be to pressure test.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #122 ·
Just finished installing the lower intake based on all the feedback in this post. Fingers crossed no more leaks, next steps will be to pressure test.
Thanks
You should be fine! I drove my car a couple of times before retorquing the lower again (final time). All were still at torque except for 2.

Once you burp the cooling system, don't be surprised if after the first couple of drives you notice your coolant level dropping a little. That's just trapped air making its way out.

·
Registered
1987 Ford Mustang Gt
59 Posts
You should be fine! I drove my car a couple of times before retorquing the lower again (final time). All were still at torque except for 2.

Once you burp the cooling system, don't be surprised if after the first couple of drives you notice your coolant level dropping a little. That's just trapped air making its way out.
Thank you
Did you run the test just with the lower intake installed?

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #124 ·
I didn't pressure test it this time. Hopefully it doesn't bite me!

I pressure tested last year when I did it the first time and I had everything installed and just before firing it up. I guess you could do it with just the lower on but you may need to cap off the two lines that would go through the throttle body. You could probably do it before adding any coolant, just need to pump a heck of a lot more to get around 15 psi. If there's a substantial leak you will know right away but I'm confident you go it right.

·
Registered
1987 Ford Mustang Gt
59 Posts
I didn't pressure test it this time. Hopefully it doesn't bite me!

I pressure tested last year when I did it the first time and I had everything installed and just before firing it up. I guess you could do it with just the lower on but you may need to cap off the two lines that would go through the throttle body. You could probably do it before adding any coolant, just need to pump a heck of a lot more to get around 15 psi. If there's a substantial leak you will know right away but I'm confident you go it right.
Got it, I might skip the test. Couldn’t find a test kit to rent.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Got it, I might skip the test. Couldn’t find a test kit to rent.
I’ve never even bothered pressure testing an engine after doing an intake. Just fill it with water initially, run it, re torque it and then drain some water and put your coolant in.

·
Registered
1987 Ford Mustang Gt
59 Posts
I’ve never even bothered pressure testing an engine after doing an intake. Just fill it with water initially, run it, re torque it and then drain some water and put your coolant in.
Finished it up, poured in new oil and water into the cooling system. Ran it for 10mins noticed the water level dropped after the thermostat opened up, added more water and it dropped again. Didn’t notice any bubbling but with the cap off it was pouring out. Hopefully it’s not the head gasket. Going to disconnect for a bit to give my head a break.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #128 ·
Don’t panic most likely just air trapped. If you can get the front on ramps so the rad cap is the most elevated, similar to the pic I sent you of my car, that will help to burp the system. While the car is running, a good trick is to repeatedly pinch the upper rad hose to help get the air out while the engine is running and waiting for the thermostat to open.

·
Registered
1987 Ford Mustang Gt
59 Posts
Ah jinxed myself, don’t see any coolant leaks externally but checked the oil and it was mixed with water. Maybe the head gaskets or cracked head? I did replace the head gaskets a few months ago. Don’t know….

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #132 ·
Ah jinxed myself, don’t see any coolant leaks externally but checked the oil and it was mixed with water. Maybe the head gaskets or cracked head? I did replace the head gaskets a few months ago. Don’t know….
I would start a new thread so you get as much exposure as possible. In your new thread I would provide some background on your car: Long time owner or new purchase? Modified or all stock? Ever overheated? Engine running poorly? (before head gasket install and after) Why did you replace the headgaskets in the first place? Stuff like that will help people formulate a good attack plan for you. If the engine is all stock, and it ran fine without ever overheating, I doubt you have a cracked head.

·
Registered
219 Posts
To fill my coolant I use the OEM Tools vacuum coolant fill tool, and never looked back.

You pull a vacuum on your cooling system first, which can be used to check for leaks, then open the valve to draw coolant in.

By the end you have a full system and none of the running and burping BS.

Reactions: Ilusivefox
121 - 134 of 134 Posts