Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can the cobra crank be drilled to accept a 1 inch bolt? If so would this affect the balance of the shaft? I botched the pulley install, the puller went into the crank instead of pushing on it. Sooo, I need a machinist to drill it out and retap it for a 1 inch bolt. If it is bigger than an inch, is that possible too?

·
Registered
20 Posts
99svt32v said:
can the cobra crank be drilled to accept a 1 inch bolt? If so would this affect the balance of the shaft? I botched the pulley install, the puller went into the crank instead of pushing on it. Sooo, I need a machinist to drill it out and retap it for a 1 inch bolt. If it is bigger than an inch, is that possible too?
Man, don't start this thread over here, too. You got way too many related posts going on over at BON and have gotten some pretty good answers over there. Why hash it out again over here?

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
having the most possible opinions is not a bad thing, sorry.

Also, im asking different questions. just relax, i was/still am freaking out.

if this had happened to u, im sure u would be calm and smiling right?

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the puller threaded into the crank, because i didn't know to put the cap on there. it made the first 30mm of the hole 7/8s of an inch in diameter. I was thinking maybe an insert or something

·
Registered
278 Posts
I know how you feel. A 1" tap is really big? Are you sure you need to go that big? There is plenty of material on the crank to step up a couple of sizes but 1" might be alittle to big. When you drill the hole just try to make sure it is centered etc...

I'm just curious, why do you think you need a 1" tap?

·
Registered
278 Posts
I posted before reading your last post...

I guess if there is enough crankshaft material and you can actually find a 1" tap and drill bit to work then it is possible.

I used CAT hardened bolts in mine. They probably sell 1" bolts, I can order them for you if you give me the length you need...I will check tomorrow...

·
Registered
410 Posts
I answered in the other thread with a pretty good account of my situation. A 3/4" worked in mine, the hole just got bigger and I just said screw it, but of course it is not as long as original and they don't sell 3/4" grade 8 bolts with threads starting at the top of the bolt(at 10pm at Lowes). ie I had to cut threads into the bolt which took forever, and then cut the bolt, final product about a 2" long 3/4" bolt. 1" is big, but probably doable if that is the last final ditch effort. I had 7/8" bolt sitting in the wings if the 3/4" didn't work. There is plenty of metal there.
But remember you screwed yourself with the T/A if you planned on putting one on. You would have to reem the T/A which I didn't bother doing.

good luck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts