Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my t-5 grinds when going into second gear. i have a hurst shifter (not sure what model, ...the one that utilizes the stock trim piece and leather boot) i have had it apart and detail the whole shifter and regreased it, all was well, until i noticed that the shifter overflexed when moving it to the right or left. the car shifts pretty normally in other gears, but does overflex in 1st, 2nd rev, and 5th
(not always). is it my shifter, should i order a new one or should i be scouring the corral for a new trans

·
Super Moderator
28,595 Posts
I don't know what you mean by "overflex" but the first thing I'd do is make sure the clutch cable is adjusted properly. If the clutch engages close to the floor, it's probably not fully disengaging and that will cause the trans to shift badly.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1. i dont have an adjustable clutch quadrant to adjust
2. i mean when you pull/push the shifter to either side (right or left) it goes to far.

some one help me out here i need it fixed

·
Super Moderator
28,595 Posts
Are you saying that when you have the car in gear, you can still move the shifter side-to-side significantly? If so, pull it back off and make sure the nylon cup that engages the shifter ball is still there and intact. There's nothing really inside the shifter that would allow that movment unless it's just flat-out broken.

As for the clutch cable, hook your foot under the clutch pedal and pull toward you to activate the self-adjusting mechanism if necessary.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the cup isnt broken

i had the shift tower apart last nite, the cup is intact and the ball seems to be in decent shape. still moves side to side in (while in gear) 1st, worse in 2nd, some in 5th and a decent amount in reverse

as for the self adjust mechanism, please explain how to work this

·
Registered
29 Posts
The self adjust mech in the t-5 is on the clutch pedal , just use your foot and pull up on pedal about 10lbs of pressure. I would also check to shift forks if there is to much shifter travel or the sycro's if hard to ingauge 2nd gear. The shift forks tend to bend when you slam 2nd or 3rd ,damage could have been done before the hurst was installed or the stops were adjusted. hope this helps Steve

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.