Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i did a search on this topic, and found alot of you guys were using manly rods and pistons. i plan on getting the money together and getting all of this stuff and wait till i'm out of school next summer to install this stuff. what i want to do is make 450/475 safely, with some wicked cams.
what are our options for the piston and rods?
how much?
a web site?
i also plan on getting a set of comp cams or SHM's and aftermarket springs. which cams have been makeing the best numbers and sound wicked?
any help would be great!
thanks

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
What about getting a pre-assembled SB with all the goodies. Keith Craft makes a engine combo running about $3,000 +/- with JE pistons, Manley Rods, ARP bolts, blue printed and balanced.

Cams- Comp Cams
Valve Springs- Comp
P/P Heads- Fox Lake

Good luck bro

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well, as of now, the engine only has 19,000 mi on it. its never sean a dragstrip (until next weekend) and i take care of it. i just want alittle extra insurance on the block and get it to sound even more pissed off. anyways thanks for the reply.
anyone else?

·
Registered
771 Posts
I say just pick up a shortblock from VT or SHM (Scott at VT is awesome, great Customer Service) and then sell your stock shortblock. :) Or send them your whole motor so they could install the cams for you to, might as well do a little porting too. :)

·
Registered
361 Posts
I was wondering too if I were to upgrade my rods/pistons in a motor with 38k would I need to have it all rebuit? Would it be possible to just install the rods/pistons without any machining?

·
Registered
771 Posts
99' GT Stang said:
I was wondering too if I were to upgrade my rods/pistons in a motor with 38k would I need to have it all rebuit? Would it be possible to just install the rods/pistons without any machining?
No, it should be machined. Probably only bore it .020 and then install the correct pistons and rods for that.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
just wondering, what kind of money are we looking at here, on average (piston, rod, + the machineing)?

·
Registered
329 Posts
$1500~very roughly.

You forgot about gaskets, bearings, main bolts (or better yet studs), etc...

Will you do the assembly yourself? If not tack on about another $1,000-$1,500.

The 3k that a shortblock runs is a solid price for a solid product. Most are balanced and blueprinted, so you usually don't have to worry about off tolerances. I talked to Jason Steen today about his shortblocks. They sound like a good deal to me. Check him out at steenracing.com.

Good luck
~Cam

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hmmmmmm, well i may go for the shortblock then. my boy SVOSALEEN's car is just unbeweavable!
oh God, here we go again;)

·
Registered
329 Posts
I feel ya brother!!!

I've spent the better part of the last month going over my plans for my 01GT. The figures begin adding up real quick.

First it was a new blower.
But, since I'm getting blown I may as well opt for an aftercooler or intercooler.

Then it was:
I may as well put in a forged bottom end....no sense in ventilating the block unneccesarily.

After that:
Well, since I'm going to have it in pieces anyway, may as well get a little P&P on the heads and a new oil pan.....

Lately:
I guess I may as well check out some new cams & valves since the heads will be disassembled for the P&P.

I figure within the next few weeks, I'll convinve myself that I need to build the next space shuttle :)

In any case, If your serious about a forged bottom end, the best I could find (with a clear conscience), is the built shortblocks. I'm sure that you can source it cheaper, but the package deals are competetive in price considering the machinging and labor. There are plenty to choose from: SHM, T & J Performance (Modular Ford Powerhouse), Steen Racing, Keith Craft, DSS, Livernois Motorsports.........

Good luck in whatever you choose to do.
~Cam

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Depends on the down time when the motor stuff goes in.If you have a beater and can afford down time rebuild your own.

If you want down time to a min .Build another motor and just swap it out.

pistons-cp pistons
rods-eagle

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks guys. only time will tell. what i'll do is just shop around findout the best prices and just weigh the odds and ends. anyhow, maybe by the end of the summer i'll atleast meet my next goal, 400hp!!!!!!!!;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts