Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
US Air Force Active Duty
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone run this combination successfully? I bought an F-303 to replace my B-303 cam. I'm using 1.72 Motorsport pedestal rockers on Edelbrock Performer 6037 heads (1.90/1.60). I need to know if I'll need to order a set of 1.6 rockers or not, as my car is at my parent's house in the 'States, and I'm stationed in Japan and coming home to do a bit of work on it this summer. I'm trying to get all of my parts ready so I won't have any excessive downtime waiting for parts. I'm using the combo listed below ('95 shortblock balanced/blueprinted with stock components). I know I need to check my piston-to-valve clearance, but I don't have access to my car to do so, and I'll only be getting a short time to spend at home. Any help/info is greatly appreciated!

·
US Air Force Active Duty
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ttt

t

·
US Air Force Active Duty
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know there must be someone who has at least tried this

It's too common of a cam to not have!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Had a buddy last summer use the 6037 heads with the F cam and he did have to flycut his pistons with a 1.7 rocker. It wasn't much, but I think there was no room between his intake valves and the top of the pistons. He was using a Victor 5.0 intake with a 1" spacer, equal length headers and 2 1/2 exhaust. T5 and 3.73's .His combo dynoed at 317 RWHP

Wasn't sure if you knew this but you can flycut your pistons while they are in the block. It takes the tool to do it with,some time and some cleanup.

·
US Air Force Active Duty
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I could get one of those tools, I just may try it

If they're not too expensive. I'll be honest, I'd rather not have to do it. Could I just do a little bit with a dremel or something?

·
Registered
705 Posts
M1fast87 said:
Had a buddy last summer use the 6037 heads with the F cam and he did have to flycut his pistons with a 1.7 rocker. It wasn't much, but I think there was no room between his intake valves and the top of the pistons. He was using a Victor 5.0 intake with a 1" spacer, equal length headers and 2 1/2 exhaust. T5 and 3.73's .His combo dynoed at 317 RWHP

Wasn't sure if you knew this but you can flycut your pistons while they are in the block. It takes the tool to do it with,some time and some cleanup.
I used old valves and made a cutting discs out of it[slightly over size]. Took out valves and used the two cutting valves using plenty of oil in valve stems, worked very well!!Hard work for your back tho..

·
US Air Force Active Duty
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ttt

ttt

·
Registered
61 Posts
Go with the 1.6:1's!!!

The 3067's are great heads (I'm using them), but there isn't alot of benefit going much over .500" lift, they simply stop moving any more air at this point. If they're ported you might see some gains, but you don't mention any porting in your sig. If you do use the 1.7:1's, I would go through the effort of claying up the pistons, shimming up some lifters, and measuring the P/V clearance. I know it's a PITA but better safe than sorry!!! A friend of mine thought he could use 1.7:1's with the E303, and I've read alot of people here on the Corral are doing just that. When he measured the P/V clearance, he had about .020" on one valve (can't remember which), far from the required .100". Beware of any definitive answers!!!!

Good Luck

·
US Air Force Active Duty
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
fireball93 said:
you'll need to do some work on the valve covers. i know for a fact that the 1.7s will rub with a cam.

dave
93 cobra
I'm already running the 1.7's and have ground out the underside of both covers for clearance.

Green '94 GT-I think that you're probably right, I'm looking for a good deal on some 1.6's, just to cover me butt, in case my clearance is insufficient. Thanks for all of the responses!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts