Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to replace my ring & pinion in my 8.8, I decided to go with 3.73:1. But my question is should I replace them myself or have A shop do it. I've never messed with rear ends.
I have a way of getting any special tools if needed. But as of right now i'll be guessing how to do it. Any advise & tips are appreciated. How hard is it to perform 1-10, how long does it take.

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
there is a tech article on it you can check out, then decide if you really want to try and do it yorself. To answer your question on how hard it is, if you have never done it before i'd say a 7 or 8, but thats my opinion.
my first gear swap i did myself, and everything turned out just fine. The second swap i had someone else do it, and it only took him 3.5 hrs. But he does that kind of thing all the time, and has all the tools to make it go quickly and smoothly, which i didn't have.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Amen HYBRED. A gear swap is not easy and does take some special tools. The most important tool you have is your brain. I reccommend not aproaching this subject lightly and reading as much as you can on the subject. This is not like a cold air intake install.....especially considering to do it correctly requires a commitment to excellence. Otherwise, you'll chew up your gears, lots of time and become extremely frustrated.

But, if you have the confidence and a great mechanical ability go for it! If nothing else, it will always be a good learning experience.

have fun!

;)

·
Registered
165 Posts
the best bet is find an old diff and give it a shot if you're wondering how it goes together, also replace the crush sleave and see if you have the proper equipment to re-assemble it. If it doesnt work out you can toss it:D

If you need to re-shim a diff(which you have to 90% of the time even with Ford gears) thats another story. If you were just swapping bearings I would probably say try it(since its easier, but not by much), the toughest part in that is setting the pinion pre-load.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
gears

All this talk is making me feel like I should take on this challenge. Does anyone know where to find the tech article on this subject.
I've got two other mustang owners that never done this before ready to help me. I need some articles now, so I can get an understanding of what I got to do.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I just finished my first gear install along with c-clip elim's and new 31 spline axles. First dont attempt without air tools, that crush sleeve is a pain. Overall it wasnt too bad of a job but i have over 6 years experience in that sort of thing. Read the tech artice on this web page by chris neighbors. That is what i used for a guide and everything went fine.Good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts