Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Mach 1 on order and plan on replacing the exhaust from the manifold back and was wondering what headers would be best for the DOHC 4.6. I hear talk about Long tube this and shorty that but I have never heard any talk of "regular" lengh tube headers - Do they exist? If so, what are their pro's and con's?

Thanks

·
Registered
678 Posts
The Shorties are the headers that will bolt dirrectly into your exisiting system. When adding long tubes you must also change your hpipe. Hope this kinda answers your question

·
Registered
647 Posts
there used to be some "medium length" headers made for the 5.0 crowd, but I don't think they're made anymore.....shorty or longtube, no in between......I don't think there'd be much room for a "medium length" header on a 4.6 anyways......

SJ

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
A 'mid' length Bassani header and matching X-pipe is under development for the 4.6's. According to Bassani, it will provide the performance gains of a long tube without the tranny accessibility issues of a long tube. It's supposed to be released later this summer.

·
Registered
84 Posts
when you are talking 'mid length' are we talking about equal length headers? these have the same length tubes but collect in the same spot the stock manifolds do. pain to install on the 5.0. cant imagine doing it on the 4.6L.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Drew00GTsc said:
when you are talking 'mid length' are we talking about equal length headers? these have the same length tubes but collect in the same spot the stock manifolds do. pain to install on the 5.0. cant imagine doing it on the 4.6L.
Don't believe I've ever seen any equal length shorties available for the 4.6. Only L/T's or regular shorties. Yeah, it's tight in there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the responses guys. I think that after the warranty runs out I will be getting this combo:

BBK Long Tube Headers
Bassanni Catted X-Pipe
Borla Cat Back.

If anyone has this combo let me know. I want a really mean sound but still emisions legal.:evil:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I installed the Hooker long tubes, X-pipe and aero chamber cat-back. Made around 35 more on torque and 25 HP. It sounds awsome. No Mid length headers avaliable for the 4.6 yet though that I have heard of.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.