Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay my firing order is the non ho one, like the same one thats in the efi F150s, what do i have the truck cam in my HO engine? able i able to switch my cam? does the truck cam make more torque than the HO cam?

·
Registered
603 Posts
If the block is a roller motor you can swap in an H.O. cam or something a little better. I had this same issue not to long ago and found my cars original engine had been swapped out sometime before I got it for a Crown Vic motor non H.O. but a roller motor non the less. Thank GOD!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
mine is a 88 speed density, i dont know what roller or any of that means, all i know is that it says 5.0L HO on my engine but my firing order is a non HO firing order. could i put the crower 15511 cam in my car?

·
Registered
35,078 Posts
If your engine is a roller motor (has roller lifters) you can put the Crower cam in it -- however you'll have to do some other things as well.

You really need to know exactly what's in your car now and what kind of computer is working the efi. It is injected right? The computer is supposed to energize the injectors, the distributor is supposed the fire the plugs all with the same firing order as the cam that's in it. So, if you're certain it's got a non-HO firing order, then at the least you'll have to rewire the distributor. I suppose it's possible somebody changed it to the non HO firing order without altering the computer or the wiring on the injectors so they matched up with the non-ho firing order. Not sure how well one would run set up that way. If so, all you have to do is re-wire the distributor and you're good to go. However, if it's a non-HO with a non-HO computer, then you've got to either get an HO computer or re-wire the injectors so they too match the HO firing order.

I don't know any way to tell for sure if an engine is a roller motor or not other than to pull the lower intake and look. If you see the spyder and dogbonz, then you got a roller. Maybe someone else knows the rest. In any event, I wouldn't get the Crower until you know for sure unless you can return it.

How did you determine that it's got a non-HO firing order? And what is the firing order that's on it?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i hooked it up as HO and it started up then staled, i have been told it was a mistake they did from the factory in the 88s,

·
Registered
35,078 Posts
I don't understand your previous statement. What is the firing order that was on it before you made the attempt at the HO firing order? And what "HO" firing order did you attempt?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
this is my firing order 15426378, this is the one i just tryed 13726548, is there more than one HO firing order

·
Registered
35,078 Posts
Nope - just the one HO firing order. Well, sounds like someone stuck a different engine in your car at some point. What kind of computer is in the car? It's behind the outside kick panel in the passenger-side footwell. There'll be a code on it (like A9L, A9P, etc. - yours will be different than those). Once you know that, you'll know what firing order the computer is using to cycle the injectors.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts