Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm putting the rear brakes back together on my cobra and can't get it right. how do the pads sit in the caliper? the wire springs on top don't seem to fit right. i know i'm doing something wrong, a brainfart, or something. any help would be appreciated. thanks

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
The legs of each spring span the window in the caliper. The springs preload the caliber in the bracket, so you do need to apply a little force on the caliper to get the bolts started.

Also, make sure to rotate the piston such that the recesses in the piston are aligned with the pins in the backing plate of the pad.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so the spring legs don't poke through the window right? the holes in the caliper are lined up, so i must not be using enough force. i'll just have to try again i guess.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Blown46Cobra said:
The legs of each spring span the window in the caliper. The springs preload the caliber in the bracket, so you do need to apply a little force on the caliper to get the bolts started.

Also, make sure to rotate the piston such that the recesses in the piston are aligned with the pins in the backing plate of the pad.
That's correct. I used to start the lower caliper bolt and then you should push slightly against the spring force to get the other caliper bolt in. The slot in the piston should go up and down to line up with the pins on the back of the pad.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Intense said:
so the spring legs don't poke through the window right? the holes in the caliper are lined up, so i must not be using enough force. i'll just have to try again i guess.
Correct. The spring pressure you'll be pushing against are those wide V shaped springs. Don't forget to make sure the pins move freely and aren't seized and lubricate them before reinstalling them.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
blown46cobra and 97dohc thanks for the replies. the reason the pads weren't sitting right was b/c the piston holes weren't at 12 and 6 o'clock. off just enough to screw it up. everything is cool now and thanks again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts