Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When removing the dash for a heater core repair, I found these suckers. I've owned the car for 7 years and never knew they were there. I don't know if the previous owner took them out or the lights were never installed from the factory.

Do you have them?

The driver side is on the underside of the dash, right next to the kick panel. The passenger side socket is pretty much centered under the glovebox.

Let me know.:joy:

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
This came up about a year or so ago. Apparently Ford put them in there but never used the sockets on the Mustangs. They were probably part of an interior illumination group or something on the Capri's, T-birds, or one of the other Fox-based cars. If you put light bulbs in the sockets they should work.

Carson

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Do all the Foxes have em? My friend's 87 has them but I've never seen the sockets on my car.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found these last year, but kept forgeting to mention it. I most certainly shoved a pair of bulbs in them and-WALLA! Illuminated floor!

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
hm.. mine always have had bulbs in them...

use a 912 or even a 194 style...

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I'm starting to think this was a pre-airbag thing or something. Anyone with a 90-93 with the sockets?

·
Registered
8,296 Posts
Mine has em, but no bulbs were in the sockets.

I splicted two blue LED's under my dash using the wiring for the sockets. I'm addicted to the blacklight look so i have a couple tasteful blue LED's in my black interior.

·
Registered
136 Posts
hmmm... I replaced my heat core and never noticed them. I don't know how many times I was looking for something that fell on the floor in the dark wishing I had floor lights. I'll have to check once I get mine out of its coma.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
They are on the Ford wiring diagrams. No lamps in sockets from day 1. Maybe it's time to put a couple lamps in.

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
My 88 GT has them and did not have bulbs in them. I bought two bulbs, installed them and voila... lighted interior. Made a huge difference. I think they may have been on the wiring harness and had lights installed from ford on vert models or t-top cars. Or they just fell out over time and no one knew on the others. :D

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
mine has them, i don't know why you can't see the passenger side though...

·
Registered
535 Posts
Yeah, stumble on them a couple of years ago. Samething heater core change # 2 I think. Just thought the person before me took them out. Really nice when they work. Doesn't cause too much drag inside the car so no real reason to remove them!

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
what triggers the lights to come one? im kinda curious. i have a 90 and have not seen them. im going to look right now. but when do they come on?

EDIT: well mine doesnt have them. i can see a spot in the sheetmetal in the middle of the passanger footwell that is for a "twist" in style light socket. but no socket.

i love little things like these, i wish my car had them!

take care,
adam

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Adam, my 90 has the same thing on the passenger side. I'm thinking its only 89 and earlier.

·
Registered
8,296 Posts
avbcon12 said:
what triggers the lights to come one? im kinda curious. i have a 90 and have not seen them. im going to look right now. but when do they come on?
They come on with the other interior lights. Open a door and on they come.

·
Corral Charter Member
11,141 Posts
that part of the wiring harness was the same harness used in the convertibles...

What I assume is for non-verts, the bulbs were never installed from the factory and for verts, they were/should be installed. For those that have those "extra sockets" just insert the correct bulbs and *bingo* - you'll have the front floor areas lit up.

my prior 86 GT had those sockets and I too installed the bulbs and it made a difference at night when entering/exiting the vehicle. Same sockets existed in my (2) prior 84 SVO's.

I cannot remember if my prior 92 GT had the sockets or not. I know my 90 coupe does NOT have those sockets, because I already had the entire interior out/removed when doing my blue to black conversion. :) So, those extra set of sockets may only exist in pre-1990 Mustangs (all models).

·
Registered
511 Posts
Looks like they are an 88' and prior thing, I checked my 89 and it had the metal tabs, but no sockets. Damn those would have been a nice improvement.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts