Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could someone tell me what these two codes mean? I failed emissions and the lady there told me to check my owners manual to see what the codes meant. But I don't have one, so I need your guys help. These are the codes P0420 and P0430. Thanks.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)

Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 2

What it means I don't know.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great! Which means my cats are sh#t. Remind me never to buy bassani ever again.

·
Registered
145 Posts
i have the same codes but passed OBDII by doing this....diconnect battery (wait 1hr.) reconnect. Drive car on the highway (above 55mph for about 5-10 min.) then take your car in. I was able to pass then. Check engine light comes back on the next day but who cares.

first time i tried this i drove the car around the city (under 45mph) and the OBDII would not read my car "not ready". the guy at the shop told my to drive it above 55mph and bring it back and it worked fine. good luck.

·
Registered
436 Posts
URDONE said:
Could someone tell me what these two codes mean? I failed emissions and the lady there told me to check my owners manual to see what the codes meant. But I don't have one, so I need your guys help. These are the codes P0420 and P0430. Thanks.
MIL Eliminators will solve this.

Tony

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
SVTSTEEDA said:
i have the same codes but passed OBDII by doing this....diconnect battery (wait 1hr.) reconnect. Drive car on the highway (above 55mph for about 5-10 min.) then take your car in. I was able to pass then. Check engine light comes back on the next day but who cares.

first time i tried this i drove the car around the city (under 45mph) and the OBDII would not read my car "not ready". the guy at the shop told my to drive it above 55mph and bring it back and it worked fine. good luck.
I am going to definately try this. THe only thing is, that my check engine light does not come on.:confused: But I am just going to try this, I have till the end of May to complie and I believe I can take it in as many times as it takes till then.

Do you guys think that the fact that my car has been sitting in the garage for the last few months has anything to do with it. I just took it out to take to emissions???

I have been looking for a stock H-pipe as well. Even if the above works, I still may buy one. Thanks for your replys guys.

·
Registered
145 Posts
does your CEL work? when you crank the car up does the light come on for a few seconds? i would be worried about your car "showing codes" but not triggering the CEL. If something more serious were to happen you may not be warned. My car sat for a month before I took it in for inspection so I don't think the time frame is a factor. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
URDONE said:
Great! Which means my cats are sh#t. Remind me never to buy bassani ever again.
I agree! Every 7,000 miles I get P420. In a couple days it goes away for me. The Bassani/CATCO cats are just resonators!
Make your own MIL Eliminators. The most it can cost is about $3

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am going to go and try again in a couple of days. I have a feeling I didn't pass because I didn't warm my car up. It was still cold when I took the test.

·
Registered
15 Posts
This is what u do to try and pass the test. Disconnected the battery and wait like 30mins. Then drive the car to the place. Try and park the car lets say about 5mins away from the testing place.

I did this and they could they could not figure out why my car could not did not return any error codes. After 20mins or so trying all sorts of test they just passed it :)

I laughed my ass out that day.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was going to disconnect the battery as well.

·
Registered
25 Posts
yes, and being warm cant hurt especially after sitting. though the trick from back in the day was more to clean the carb out and what not, but we would always take the car out on the highway for about 20-30 minute straight run, to get it fully up to temp and all the systems doing their normal thing, cats up to temp, etc. then go in. if not, just dont give the computer time ot realize something is wrong, like cenwesi said.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks guys. I will be trying this stuff by the end of the week, hopefully I can pass and it is not the cats that are blown out. By the way, would I be able to tell if my cats were blown out just by the sound?

·
Registered
145 Posts
when my cats went bad i couldn't tell a difference is sound. they would give the "death rattle" on and off.....then clog the system....then run fine again. i guess i flushed the crap out. no sound difference just the check engine light now. good luck.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts