Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where do I go to purchase the equipment in order to burn Eprom chips for Mustangs??

Is anyone on this board doing this now??? If so, can you help me get started.

TIA

· Premium Member
967 Posts
Well, basically all you need is an EPROM programmer for around $100.

Now the big question. Do you mean for the EEC itself? If so that's probably not going to happen. You will need either an Autologic type chip "pack" with a removable EPROM to interface with the J3 diagnostic connector. That is how chips "download" the changes over the factory values when you start your car. Also, you will have to figure out the encoding method that they use on the chip. They change an address line of something so it's not as easy as modifying the data in a specific memory address.

If you are lucky you can find a used one of these is for $50-100 dollars. It should be for the "family" of computer your car has.

The nest step and probably easier is to buy a Tweecer or EEC-Tuner. These have the pack that connects to the J3 port and also the user friendly (haha) software interface to change different values.

Check Tweecer.com and the Tweecer and EECTuner forums on the Yahoo.ocm groups.

If you are already aware of this stuff then maybe you can be more specific.

· Registered
74 Posts
I can set you up to burn chips. We support all Mustangs and any "special" pcm's you might need. The user interface is very easy to use. We offer the best customer support. our chips are priced at or below the other chip companies. Thank Tim

· Registered
100 Posts
v8ranger,

What brand chips/program can you supply? I'm interested in burning chips for locals Mustangs.

· Registered
342 Posts
I also have wanted to start doing this locally I currently tune with the tweecer on my car...Please send me info on the interface and chips.

· Premium Member
967 Posts
Here too.

· Registered
1 Posts
Interested in burning chip info plz

V8ranger,
You have generated some intrest from some of us about burning our own chips. I too would like to hear more please. I am building up a 347 for my son and will need to burn a chip for his setup.
Please send me an email, or can you post up here your information?
Thank you for your help,
Keith H.

· Registered
6,307 Posts
Re: Interested in burning chip info plz

I think that MOST people that have responded REALLY want a Tweecer RT. Sorry, IMHO, it's STUPID for people to THINK that they can "just program" for some great HP.

Really people, unless you have USED and TESTED with a Tweecer, EEC Tunner, PMS, etc, you are ASKING FOR PROBLEMS.

Maybe you want to make random changes to MS windows also? At least there, you'll just crash your PC and not ruin your engine.

Also, if you are looking for to tune a single car and you can't afford a Tweecer/Tuner/PMS, then FORGET IT! Or, have a PROFESSIONAL do a chip for you.

· Registered
30 Posts
v8Ranger - I would be interested also in burning chips as there are alot of local guys around here that are in need. I also understand that to properly tune, one needs a dyno and wideband to accomplish this as I have learned by picking up almost 40 on the Dyno with a EECTuner and many hours on the laptop. Feel free to contact me at [email protected] as I would like more info

Thanks

· Registered
49 Posts
Re: Re: Interested in burning chip info plz

stangPlus2Birds said:
I think that MOST people that have responded REALLY want a Tweecer RT. Sorry, IMHO, it's STUPID for people to THINK that they can "just program" for some great HP.

Really people, unless you have USED and TESTED with a Tweecer, EEC Tunner, PMS, etc, you are ASKING FOR PROBLEMS.

Maybe you want to make random changes to MS windows also? At least there, you'll just crash your PC and not ruin your engine.

Also, if you are looking for to tune a single car and you can't afford a Tweecer/Tuner/PMS, then FORGET IT! Or, have a PROFESSIONAL do a chip for you.
Why do your posts always have to be so condescending?

· Registered
6,307 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Interested in burning chip info plz

THREE40SEVEN said:
Why do your posts always have to be so condescending?
What's your problem? Don't like the *truth*. Or, are you just another "TPS mod zombie" or "C&L does *not* make pure cr*p zombie"? I find that 99.9% of the people that ***** are zomibes. Funny how many other people ask me stuff because I do *not BS* people.

Opps, I'm sorry if I hurt your little itty bitty feelings. No really, ANY MORON can put on 72# injectors, a blower worth 30PSI, and get 50mpg, fly through smog, have no problems an so on. Really, just read the ads! :rolleyes:

I tell people HOW IT IS. If you want to go spend $4K+ putting on a blower etc and THINK that it will be find and dandy because some clueless teenager doesn't want to admit that their car barley runs, then fine. In the mean time, *I* will be saving people from making BIG mistakes, often ruining the car and/or how it runs/drives. Also, if you KNEW ANYTHING about the forums, you would know that about 20x more people READ a thread than post in it. I post for THOSE people.

Now, come clean! Do you have a C&L and think it's great? Or, did you set your TPS to 0.9999 and BRAG to everyone about how much better your car runs? Doesn't matter. I find out eventually.

Back on topic: Anyone that thinks that they can "just whip up a chip" without dyno tuning or *EXTENSIVE experience* is VERY FOOLISH! Then again, if they have done extensive dyno experience, what don't they know about the "commercial" systems out there? gee, how can ANYONE claim to know how to make a chip for a stang without knowing about Mike W. If they know about Mike W, they know one source for making aftermarket chips.

Last: If you had ANY experience on the forums, you would know what it takes to get a point across. Reminds me of the EEC computer thread. The BEST response was *completely* ignored by EVERYONE!

BTW: READ THE RULES!!!! ****TECH ONLY IN TECH**** Geez :rolleyes:

· Registered
6,307 Posts
Opps, I stand corrected. It's VERY SIMPLE to tune. :rolleyes:

See what happened to: VibrantRedGT at
http://forums.stangnet.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=319429&perpage=40&pagenumber=2

Maybe, people should also look at LEGAL advice if they are going to start selling chips to other people. If someone didn't have the correct credentials or experience, I would think that even a first year law student would have a field day with someone that sold a "custom chip" to another person and the buyer's engine BLEW UP!

· Registered
74 Posts
Stang+2 birds, first off I work for Pro-M racing and imo you are very neg. toward anything other than the tweecer. Do you get a kickback for each one sold or something? Myself and others on the Pro-M staff have worked very hard on getting the software and hardware for the shops and indviduals that want to burn their own chips. As far as my traning I am a Master tech. with Ford Motor Co., A.S.E., Cummins Diesel, Cat Diesel, and I am sure i have more time in school and various comp. classes than you have in all of your training (fromK-12 plus your fist year in law school)!! You are a first year law student, What does that have to do with computers or electronic design?? Nothing the last time I checked. Please keep you smart comments off any post that i reply to as i am just trying to help the people of this fourm gain an insight on how the eec works and when you decode an eec-iv much less the eec-v you let me know and then i might have respect for the comments that spew from your keyboard. And when you get done with the eec-v you can help me on the Power P.C. that is in the PTEC boxes that is quickly becoming the comp. of choice for Ford. Tim

· Registered
74 Posts
Now that I have vented. We have had a bug in the chip on the eec-v but it is now fixed and we will be in full swing by next week. We will have a shop version and also an indvidual version. Their are encryption routines that will keep the indvidual from reading a shops tune and vise versa. We are also working on flash programing the eec-v which will be released soon. It will be incorprated into the software and min. extra things to buy. I will keep all of you posted. I will answer all of the P.M.'s in time please be patient with me. I look foward to working with all of you, to include stangplus2birds. Thanks for all the support. Tim

· Registered
595 Posts
if you want to burn eprom;s for the eec all you need is the moats board and a programer

http://moates.net/index.html
http://www.ustr.net/epromer5/index.shtml
and use these eproms
Atmel 29C256 Chip Either 90 or 150ns 28-pin chips, direct replacement for 27C256 chips, can be flash-reprogrammed many times without UV eraser. These are the ones $5.00
AMD 29F040 Chip $9.00

· Registered
46 Posts
96+ EPROM programming

Do you know if the EPROMER(5) will allow you to burn chips for the EEC V chips? I have been looking at the Pocket Programmer II but it does not support the later model chips.

I would like to reprogram EEC IV & EEC V type chips, is there one programmer available to do both?

· Registered
257 Posts
Back on topic: Anyone that thinks that they can "just whip up a chip" without dyno tuning or *EXTENSIVE experience* is VERY FOOLISH! Then again, if they have done extensive dyno experience, what don't they know about the "commercial" systems out there? gee, how can ANYONE claim to know how to make a chip for a stang without knowing about Mike W. If they know about Mike W, they know one source for making aftermarket chips
I don't think anyone here is saying not to dyno tune. What they are saying is they want to flash their own chips, that doesnt mean they are going to be putting in their bin values without aide of dyno. If I had a dyno shop why would i want to pay $350 dollars for a tweecer for each car I dyno tune when I can flash my own chips for a fraction of that cost. Clear as mudd?? Good.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.