Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having Ford do my 4.10 gear swap this week. I went ahead and purchased the master install kit from mustangtuning.com for $90 as well. My car has 42K and I figured as long as they are doing the gear swap, they could change the bearings. Plus, I didn't want them to not have a vital part in stock during the install.

Anyway, I am wondering how long the job should take considering I am having a Ford mechanic do the work?

·
Registered
154 Posts
be prepared for a 400-500 dollar bill, I wouldn't let ford do my rear end, I had them do my 95 and they screwed everything up, and then charged me out the a$$. I would find someone in the area to do it, I know there are some good places in the chicago area, go to mustangworld and talk to Bamf he would know where to take it. Hope this helps

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
trueblue02 said:
be prepared for a 400-500 dollar bill, I wouldn't let ford do my rear end, I had them do my 95 and they screwed everything up, and then charged me out the a$$. I would find someone in the area to do it, I know there are some good places in the chicago area, go to mustangworld and talk to Bamf he would know where to take it. Hope this helps
I am friends with the service manager and I can assure you I am not paying anything close to $400 - $500 for the install. Let's just say it a very good deal. I know that dealerships make the majority of their profit off two things: used car sales and service. New car sales do not account for as much dealer profit as most people may believe.

Anyway, sorry you had a bad experience with Ford service. I have a hard time thinking that a Ford certified mechanic won't know how to work on a Ford Mustang. We both know our mustang's underpinnings have been around for all too long. Ford mechanics should be very familar with them by now.

Besides, if it's screwed up, my buddy will just have them do it over. For me, my decision to use Ford comes down to having a lift, proprer tools, a Ford mechanic, and a great price on labor. While I have never done one, gear swaps appear to be pretty straight-forward. The lift makes it ten times easier. Air tools make it another ten times easier and a Ford certified mechanic makes it another 100 times easier for me.

By the way, nice power numbers. I see you don't have too many mods. - you must have had a excellent tuner.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Get a good performance oriented shop to replace the gear. You never know whos gonna work on your car at a dealership. It could be some kif that got out of school working for $8 an hour, thats only done a gear swap once. Performance shops do gear swaps all the time and will most of the time do them perfect.

Josh

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
some dealership guys are very knowledgeable and others well just plain out sux...good luck..

and if i were in your sitution i would just do the job myself.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Friends or not I still don't trust ford with my baby. I have a really good friend that works at a Ford dealership and he won't even take his cobra there. As for my numbners I have not had it tuned, that is just all bolt ons and go. I think with a tune I would see over 260 but I am going the power adder route with a KB 9psi kit, should be here ina day or two. Good luck with the gears but like most say I would highly reccomend having a performance shop do it that knows what they are doin. Don't forget the speed cal or chip to correct the speedo.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
At work I can do a gear swap in under 3 hours. I am a Ford tech. I woundn't take my car to any independant shop in my area. At a dealer, at least mine, they guarentee there work and stand behind it. But then again there are some real hacks at my work too.

·
Registered
119 Posts
98muscrat did my gears, very happy with my install!!! Muussstanggg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts